add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Vancouver Mountain Bike Meetup Message Board Bike and Equipment Forum › Lighten up the Frantik... or get something new

Lighten up the Frantik... or get something new

user 12665815
Port Moody, BC
Post #: 50
So I'm not sure what i want to do... My Frantik has 3 pretty hard seasons on it and it's starting to show. The front fork needs to be rebuilt, the brakes need an upgrade, and the wheels weigh a ton. On top of the frame could use a respray.

I have been looking at new bikes but there is so little to choose from in FreeRide anymore. I'm looking for 180MM travel, single crown, high bottom bracket hight, slack head tube and angle, dual front rings. The Truax seems to be the only one bike that checks all the marks but do I want to spend 3000 + on a new bike?

My Frantik currently is running Domain 318s up front, a DHX 5.0 Air rear shock w/ lock out, Elixer 5 brakes of which I dislike greatly..), FR32 rims on Dare devil hubs wrapped in Minions, hussafelt cranks and X7 driveline.

My complaints.. 39.6LBS of lung crushing mass, beaks that suck in as much as I do pedaling up Fromme, and a fork that's as plush as a wooden bar stool. What could I do lighten the bike up, I would think different rims and tubeless tires would make a large difference. Anybody recommend some parts that will take the abuse of not so flow trails but will lighten up my tank a little bit? I'd love to see 35-37 LBS... I know its still not "light" but that's what the Truax weighs in at.

A former member
Post #: 18
I would say the fork and wheels are a lot of the extra weight. You rode my SX Trail and it is the same kind of bike but only weighs like 35 lbs. If you have patience you could build up a new frame with the exact parts you want for less than buying a whole new bike. Having done this recently with the TransAM I don't think I will ever buy a stock bike again. May as well get exactly what you want!

Maybe consider getting a slack 6" bike instead of a full coil freeride bike. It would be more pedal friendly.

My two cents...
user 8562755
North Vancouver, BC
Post #: 380
The Frantik is nice in many ways, but misses the mark. It was certainly a good choice for the price and what can be found easily, etc, but not the best for here. I think with how you ride, you deserve something more in tune with the shore, and your mad skillz.

Lightening a bike will cost the same as making a new one, minus the price of a frame. At this juncture, I think it is time you went to the newer geometries, or at least a better frame if not "new and improved", and a newer fork. So that calls for a "new" or modern frame, new brakes (since you hate yours and the really new brakes are amazing), and maybe wheels. Your cranks and some other stuff isn't that bad. Some things can't get too light or it just breaks.

A fox fork is magnitudes beyond a beat up domain, stronger and lighter. A bad fork can make a good bike feel like crap, a good fork can save your butt.

I'm not exactly sure what you want to do on this bike - you could do anything from 8 ft drops to ripping old tech with how you ride - and could probably do that on a "big wheel"TM, lol.

The truax is actually a very fine bike, they got the suspension really dialled, and the ability to pedal up fromme and yet still have no issues coming down any of its steeps. You may want to consider the killer-b bikes too. Despite the small difference in 650 b wheels vs. 26", they seem to make a difference, and one that works for our terrain.

Big bikes for technical stuff are hard to find; they tend toward more DH racing styles. Even the Knolly's have a lower bottom bracket than before. I finally put shorter cranks on mine to help with that. It helps with corners too, but not the way you're thinking. :-)

If you want something a bit like the frantik, the santa cruz bullit is a light, single pivot, 7"(?) bike with a nice feel. Cheap to buy used, too. Old school in style, new in weight, but it works quite well. The newer rockys are nice, and perhaps some of the banshees, though pivot bearings have major weaknesses in some of their designs. Cove bikes STD is a great bike, by the way. I'd buy one. Very versatile. Not exactly for steep uphills, in comparison to a truax, but a good ride. Intense Uzzi has good possibilities. Specialized demo 7... *shrug*

What do you want to do with it?

Anyway, in my experience, lightening a bike eats money just about the same as building new, plus wastes what you have. A lot of the time you end up with good parts, but a bit of a Frankenstein's monster of a bike, that doesn't quite work as well as you'd like. Sell the old, build a newer one more suited to what you want, and what you ride.

Buying a new bike whole, is a lot cheaper than buying parts and a frame, unless you buy used parts - and then you'd better be able to tell what's junk, and what's broken, and what's workable.

If you want a quick-fix for easier riding/lightness, then wheel weight makes the most difference, and tires can make the most difference in that. If you don't mind more pinch-flats and all that. ;-) The domain fork is definitely a detriment to happiness and control.

With what you do, avoid the air shocks... They just don't cut it - they are getting closer in feel - so they say (I don't think so), but are just grief in the long run.
A former member
Post #: 907
Looking at all you want to change, fork, brakes, wheels you're probably getting close enough to the cost of a newer bike. Sell the bike you have and your out of pocket expense on a newer bike may be about the same as rebuilding yours.

You should look into both used and some of the on line offerings for both parts and bikes. There are great deals out there. You could look for a 2009 Giant Reign X0. 34 pound 7 inch bike. Its Fox air but i doubt thats much hinderance for you. Kara found a Spec SX for 1500 last year.

You really need to nail down what you want to do and how much you want to spend. If easier pedaling on a budget is really what you want the cheapest way to get that is improve your cardio fitness. Get something you can pedal to work or start running. That will make your ride up Fromme easier than any bike.

user 12665815
Port Moody, BC
Post #: 51
Well. I ended up getting a 66rc3 to and siant brakes. So far I am loving the feel of the bike. After test rideing a bunch of newer bikes I came to the conclusion that nothing feels s right as the frantik.
A former member
Post #: 909
Not surprising since the DW link is basically the same as Giant's Maestro and Maestro, some say Giant ripped of the DW link, is a very efficient and responsive at the pedal system. Norco's modified FSR isn't as snappy or responsive at the pedals but it does provide incredible, sometimes unbelievable traction.

user 12912251
Burnaby, BC
Post #: 15
LOL Maestro=DW-Link

I've owned a giant Trance and now I own an Ibis Mojo SL. the DW-Link is night and day compared to the maestro. I never have to flip the pro-pedal on on the ibis for climbing.
A former member
Post #: 912
I never used the pro pedal on my 2009 Glory 0 let alone my Reign Ben. That Glory was unbelievably responsive and efficient to pedal for 45 pound bike. I don't use the pro pedal on my Norco Range either. None of the suspension systems these days need pro-pedal if you have good pedaling technique.

Funny how our new usually more expensive bikes always feel better than our old ones do... It would kinda suck and we might look pretty stupid if it didn't right Ben... wink
user 12912251
Burnaby, BC
Post #: 16
yes I'm very easily blinded by the new and shine biggrin
A former member
Post #: 165
IF the frame fits you well and you are comfortable as hell on it, nothing like a nice fresh powder coat or spray, and lighten up fork and wheel set as well as tires. remember those minions are freaking heavy. my RMX weighs 51.6 pounds...i rode it up burnaby twice. i felt like forest gump when i got to the top.