Minneapolis Vegan Meetup Message Board › Vegan nutrition & health news

Vegan nutrition & health news

Eric
user 16764681
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 4
The Vegan Nutrition 101 class reminded me that some people might be interested to learn about Nutritionfacts.org.

The site is run by Michael Greger, MD, a very well qualified doctor who recommends a vegan diet. The site, which is updated every day, has hundreds of short videos reporting the latest peer-reviewed nutrition news, from 'abdominal aortic aneurysim' to 'macadamia oil' to 'zoontic disease.'
Melissa M.
user 12956222
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 10
Thanks, Eric. We did talk about this at Vegan Nutrition 101. We also discussed accessing:
veganhealth.org by Jack Norris, Registered Dietician who is vegan
theveganrd.org
The book Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davis, R.D.
Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine
T. Colin Campbell
Dr. Esselstyn

Thanks Eric!
Eric
user 16764681
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 5
Thanks, Melissa. I forget that some people have been doing this longer than I have. I wish I could have made the class, I would have learned a lot, so thank you for the references.
Kelly
user 76375892
Burnsville, MN
Post #: 5
On the subject of vegan nutrition: can anyone help me make sure I'm getting adequate amounts of calcium? I've checked the website but I'm still a bit confused.
I'm not entirely sure it's calcium, but I have been craving A LOT of cheese lately. I would like to get my calcium without the prospect of confined dairy cows and mastitis. Any suggestions?
Dallas R.
user 11381017
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 38
Hi Kelly,

It's probably the casomorphins in the cheese you're craving rather than calcium. Green leafy vegetables are great for calcium, as is fortified OJ and non-dairy milks. To deal with your cheese craving, try some cheese alternatives, but also just give it time. There is a period of adjustment because the chemicals in dairy are addictive, and even more so because they are concentrated in cheese. Get some Daiya, take yourself out for pizza at Luce or Galactic or Z pizza and hang in there. If you need a reminder about how cows suffer for cheese production, watch a video on Youtube, that will also help nip your craving in the bud, I think.
Kelly
user 76375892
Burnsville, MN
Post #: 6
Hi Dallas,
I never imagined that there could be a chemical in cheese that produces cravings. But I guess that makes a lot of sense. Especially when omnivores always say, "youre vegan? I could NEVER give up cheese!"
How much time does it typically take to adjust? I've been vegan for over 6 months now and it still hasn't gone away. Although it hasn't been a constant craving, it does go away but then eventually comes back.
I love Daiya and use it frequently. In the meantime, I will continue to acquaint myself with more Pizza Luce (hello rinotta cheeze!)
Thanks!
Dallas R.
user 11381017
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 41
You know, I really don't know how long it takes to go away.... maybe Melissa or Al would have a good answer for you?
rose
user 36389612
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 1
How much time does it typically take to adjust? I've been vegan for over 6 months now and it still hasn't gone away. Although it hasn't been a constant craving, it does go away but then eventually comes back
Try reading The Pleasure Trap. This is the book we read in the Plant Based Nutrition course to understand cravings and changing habits!

http://www.amazon.com...­