Minneapolis Vegan Meetup Message Board › Documentaries!

Documentaries!

A former member
Post #: 6
At today's meetup we were discussing documentaries on healthy eating, being vegan, and/or the mistreatment of animals so I wanted to start the tread and share my favorite.

I love, love, love Hungry for Change. I had seen Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, which is also a favorite, but after seeing Hungry for Change I was ready to change myself.
Al
AlNowatzki
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 5
The one documentary I suggested was Earthlings.

It is graphic because what is routinely done to other-than-human animals is graphic. Our desire to look away is strong, but our desire for truth and justice is stronger.

Once you fully understand what is done to animals and once you internalize the idea that animals are not ours to use and that they feel and suffer ... then your only honest choice is to be vegan and you won't want to ever go back. Cravings, inconveniences -- no perceived roadblocks will hold a candle to your desire for justice and your revulsion at where animals products come from.
Al
AlNowatzki
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 6
Also, Ethique Nouveau sells Earthlings on DVD.
Dallas R.
user 11381017
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 42
It is graphic because what is routinely done to other-than-human animals is graphic. Our desire to look away is strong, but our desire for truth and justice is stronger.
I agree with Al that educating yourself about how animals are impacted by our choices to eat them and their products (or use them in other ways) is really important, and the very best motivation for going and staying vegan.

I would submit, humbly, that the documentary isn't graphic so much as it depicts violence. The term "graphic", for me, implies a level of spectacle that Earthings doesn't have. The violence isn't glorified, as in a graphic horror film, for example, but simply a documentation of what actually happens in places where animals are used and killed for the supposed benefit of humans.

I think Earthings is also available to view for free online, but I could be mistaken. In any event. I highly recommend it as well.
A former member
Post #: 4
Earthlings is offered free online at youtube.com. Here is a link: http://www.youtube.co...­