Minneapolis Vegan Meetup Message Board › Leaping Bunny?

Leaping Bunny?

Kelly
user 76375892
Burnsville, MN
Post #: 7
Hi guys,
I've been doing some research about my cosmetics and need help clearing up some confusion. I have been using Urban Decay cosmetics forever because I read that they have vegan products and don't test on animals. On the leaping bunny website, it is marked as leaping bunny certified. However, it is also marked as "a subsidiary of a parent company that does not comply with the Leaping Bunny Standard". What does this mean exactly? Am I giving my money to a company that isn't truly cruelty-free?
Thanks!
Kelly
Melissa M.
user 12956222
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 11
It was announced last fall that L'Oreal would purchase Urban Decay. It was also announced that Urban Decay would start selling their products in China (which requires animal testing). They later redacted that, stating that they will not sell in China.
Urban Decay claims that they remain committed to offering vegan products and not testing on animals. They are Leaping Bunny certified. L'Oreal, however, has had a lot of controversy surround whether or not they test. They claim they do not test their finished products on animals, however, it has been documented that they do test individual ingredients that go in to their products.

I personally have some vegan Urban Decay products. I also like Tarte (some of their products are vegan and harm-free). I'm also a huge fan of Lush and Eyes, Lips, Face. Unfortunately many companies that may have some vegan products (such as Smash Box or Aveda) are owned by parent companies such as Estee Lauder that have a reputation for testing.

Lastly, I would encourage you to check out Ethique Nouveau (http://www.ethiquenou...­) the only all vegan store in Minnesota. They sell lipstick, lotion, nail polish, perfume, and various other cosmetics that is both harm-free / cruelty-free and vegan!
Kelly
user 76375892
Burnsville, MN
Post #: 8
Thank you so much for the information! You are extremely knowledgeable!
I've had very good luck with UD and Tarte. I believe Too Faced also has some cruelty free products.
I'm a little upset that UD is owned by L'Oreal. I believe we vote with our dollars and I'm sad to think that my money ultimately goes back to a company that I choose not to support. Very frustrating.
I need to make an effort to get back to Ethique Noveau. Last time I was there I was so focused on the bake sale that I didn't shop around much!