Minneapolis Vegan Meetup Message Board › Vegan Butter Substitute?

Vegan Butter Substitute?

Kelly
user 76375892
Burnsville, MN
Post #: 9
Hi guys,
I am hoping you all can help me out. I've been using Earth Balance as long as I've been vegan but I recently learned about the massive environmental devastation and threat to the orangutan population that harvesting palm oil contributes to. I know this is a tall order, but does anyone know of a vegan butter substitute that is palm oil free, gmo free, and sustainable? I know I can use margarine, but sometimes it just doesn't cut it.
Thanks in advance for any help!
A former member
Post #: 30
That's a tough one. Have you tried Willow Run? http://www.almostvega...­

It doesn't have palm oil. However, it does have partially hydrogenated soybean oil. So, I'm not sure if you want to go that route. It's frustrating, as it seems there's a catch to so many of the products we use (everyone, not just vegans).
Kim F.
user 12706917
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 9
Hey, Kelly

I actually still use Earth Balance and have been grappling with this, too. But I've also been getting in touch with companies to ask them to remove carageenan because of its health risks to our own gut (see http://www.cornucopia...­. So I got in touch with Turtle Mountain and Organic Valley to ask them to get rid of the carageenan within their ice cream and soymilk respectively.

I'm glad you posted about this because I'll be calling in to Earth Balance to ask them to remove this from their ingredients list and will post back when I hear their response. I hope some other folks on this discussion board will, too :) Their number is 201-421-3970.
Kelly
user 76375892
Burnsville, MN
Post #: 10
For what it's worth, I did find this on their website. I'm not completely sold that palm oil is "sustainable" but it does appear that they have been listening to people's concerns.
http://www.earthbalan...­
Eric R.
user 10181899
San Isidro, CR
Post #: 12
Saludos, Everyone
I couldnt resist sharing 2 of my raw vegan butter substitutes, way healthier and less expensive than packaged mystery fake "butters". These easy recipes are all whole fresh foods you can get locally, and you can experiment with the flavor to any way you like - sweet, savory, or even spicy. How about Chipotle spread? Store them for a week in the fridge.

BANANA BUTTER (for veggies and crackers)
1 avocado
1 banana
1/2 clove of garlic (optional)
Blend all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth

BETTER BUTTER
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 cups coconut pulp
1/4 cup flax or hemp oil
Blend ingredients until smooth.
For herbed butter, add your favorite chopped herbs

In Health,
Living Foods Health Chef Eric Rivkin
Viva La Raw Project non-profit
www.vivalaraw.org
Kelly
user 76375892
Burnsville, MN
Post #: 11
Eric, I'm so glad you brought up the idea of making your own! I have wondered if there's any good easy recipes, and these sound marvellous! Yum yum yum! Does the banana butter have any sort of residual banana flavor?
La Verne R.
user 58391112
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1
Hi I'm La Verne: I'm a baby VEGAN not quite a year, so the need to know is greatly appreciative . I use Earth Balance too right now I'm clueless about certain things to use , I need help.

Enjoy your day.

La Verne