align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Minneapolis Vegan Meetup Message Board › Fat-shaming vegans

Fat-shaming vegans

A former member
Post #: 6
Thank you all for such great, kind responses. I was feeling a little nervous about joining a vegan community but you all eased my worries. I think that if this happens in the future, I will just calmly explain that I am vegan for animal rights and environmental concerns and that veganism isn't a diet that it is a set of moral principles like Dallas suggested.
:D Hope to see you all at future meetups :D
Kelly
user 76375892
Burnsville, MN
Post #: 13
Hi Katia,
I'm so sorry you had to deal with such an ignorant and disrespectful person. I hope you don't let the comment get to you too much.
I think Dallas hit it right on when she said that there's a difference between vegan and plant based. I choose to define myself as both, because I am vegan for ethical and environmental reasons as well as the potential health benefits. I did drop some weight in the beginning, but that's only because I replaced my morning bacon and eggs with fruit and oatmeal. I probably could've lost the weight if I wasn't vegan if I just incorporated more fruit and veg into my diet.
So many people confuse the two terms. I am 5'2" and about 110 lbs and when people find out I'm vegan, they always say something like, "I'm not surprised! You're so thin!" at which point I like to tell them that although I do eat stupid amounts of fruits and vegetables, I do also enjoy vegan junk food, Pizza Luce, and pretty much every vegan baked good that has ever existed :)
It's a good way to educate people on the difference between plant based (like Bill Clinton, Jenna Marbles, etc.) and vegan. Plus people usually love hearing about "accidentally vegan" foods and it gives me an opportunity to help people understand that vegans don't just eat tofu and granola, but that vegan food can be fun and delicious!
Please don't let the ignorance of one person discourage you from doing what you feel is best for you. And don't let her minimize the impact you make! Not only is she way off base about making vegans look bad, but she's also discounting all the amazing things you are doing for animals. And no one can take that away from you ever.
I've found vegan meetup to be a very positive, safe, and encouraging place so you definitely have support from everyone here! I hope to see you at a future meetup!
Sheila R.
user 9061431
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 2
Katia,
Thank you so much for your post and thank you to everyone else that has commented. I gave up animal products 5 years ago and continue to struggle with my weight. I have often thought of myself as a bad example of a vegan because I have over 100 lbs to lose to reach a healthy weight and usually talk myself out of attending vegan events because of this. It's great to hear that their are supportive people out there.
A former member
Post #: 36
Although being vegan can help with weight, it ultimately comes down to "calories in, calories out." I've lost weight eating cookies and crackers, and gained weight by eating too much fruit. As has been mentioned previously, everyone's body and metabolism is different.

The points made about vegan vs. plant-based are interesting. I hadn't thought of that.
A former member
Post #: 1
I think anyone can call themselves a vegan if they do their absolute best to avoid causing any harm to animals, period. I also really appreciate the plant-based eaters and there shouldn't be any nose snubbing at them just because they aren't committed vegans, because i think there are often steps that lead to where we are, not to mention all the animals saved by not being eaten. Even the awareness of no-meat-mondays for meat eaters should be applauded, because it can easily lead to further measures. I became a vegetarian 15 years ago after being an obnoxious meat eater (I probably would have even waved a cheese burger in front of a veggie). Now I am a full on vegan (still chubby), but it didn't happen overnight. I guess my point is that as vegans we should be cheering ourselves on regardless of our calorie intake, supporting each other and also being supportive of the steps our non-vegan friends/family take in the right direction. I hope that the unaware "vegan" will see the light and realize she hurt someone that has made a wonderful life choice. Good on you Katia for reaching out and sharing your painful experience!
Margaret O
user 54773292
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1
This is appalling first who is anyone to call someone fat. Talk about discrimination. I still eat fattening foods just NO ANIMAL PRODUCTS. I feel sad that you faced this discrimination. I for one applaud you for being Vegan.
Katie L.
TheCatsMeow
Bloomington, MN
Post #: 3
Katia,

I am a new vegan and am also seeing a dietitian and therapist addressing my relationship with food. I have never experienced your experience, but I am so afraid to even say that I choose a vegan lifestyle because of the stereotype-vegans are skinny hippies. I'm truly afraid that I will be judged because I'm a 'fat vegan.' While I hope that my relationship with food does change (and will result in weight loss), I am still working through the emotional parts of it.

This culture glorifies thin and fit women, and being overweight in general is just difficult-vegan or not. My plan is to talk about it with people who I know won't judge me and not even address it to risky persons-many family members and co-workers. I truly hope that that you find peace with this!