addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Minneapolis Vegan Meetup Message Board › Vegan research

Vegan research

A former member
Post #: 4
Can a vegan diet change the world? Is it the best diet? How and Why?

I'd like to spend a solid year compiling research and rebuttals against all known arguments and scientific papers refuting a vegan diet. Gary Yourovsky mainly debates the moral reasons in his speech, but I would like to build a monument that addresses nutritional/physiological, moral/psychological, and sustainability concerns. I wish to address the flaws a well as to propose a globally oriented solution (namely vertical farms). I invite everyone in this group to participate. I may make a suggestion for a meetup revolving around this topic if anyone is interested.
A former member
Post #: 15
The nutritional research around diets, including the vegan diet, is controversial. It feels to me like a bottomless pit of opposing opinions. The meat and dairy industries have a lot of money to throw at muddying the waters. The more I learn the less I trust that there is a source of truth.
A former member
Post #: 5
So, yea... just post all these articles you've read and I'll do all the work for the discouraged.
A former member
Post #: 16
I think your idea sounds great! Go for it because there's all sorts of reasons to NOT do something but you'll never know unless you try something. Also, we need to have an insane amount of people spreading the vegan message since there is so much cruelty/misinformation out there ;)
A former member
Post #: 6
There's a paper out called The Expensive Tissue Hypothesis, that I believe is against the vegan argument. I don't believe it holds much water though.

Generally speaking, is anyone interested in contributing anything to this?
A former member
Post #: 7
There is certainly a lot of research on vegan nutrition. All credible studies (those not sponsored by animal exploitation industries) show that a whole foods plant based diet is the healthiest way to be. The key is "whole foods", in other words little or no sugar, oils, processed foods, etc. I think there is some controversy on the topic of less healthy things, with some staunchly against them and other saying that oils, sugar and even animal products are not harmful if consumed rarely and in small amounts. Of course you can be a really unhealthy vegan: my friend got two heart attacks in part from eating tons of vegan pizza.

Check out the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM), Dr Colin Campbell (author of The China Study), Dr Caldwell Esselstyn (advocates no oil and minimal nuts/seeds to prevent and reverse heart disease), and Becoming Vegan (considered by many to be the definitive guide to vegan nutrition). I have a copy of Becoming Vegan if you'd like to borrow it.

I can't spare much time but am happy to help if I can.
Grace
user 3071523
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 3
I believe that Carrie from the Blog Carrie on Vegan just did her masters thesis on vegetarian/vegan eating and health. You may want to check that out.