Vegan Toastmasters Message Board › How to deal with them?

How to deal with them?

Alex
lovemealex
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 13
Hello,

Last week, in a cafeteria I asked for a Veggie burger. The person at the counter served me chicken. When I asked why she served the wrong pizza, she kinda ridiculed. Their remarks confirmed that they knew they were serving the wrong dish.

Does someone know what should be the course of action?

Alex
A former member
Post #: 2
You should politely tell them that you don't expect everybody in our society to understand your choices, but you do expect them to respect them, especially when you're doing something out of compassion. Then ask for your money back, don't accept alternate food from them, and let the manager know you won't be eating there again.
A former member
Post #: 25
I agree with the first suggestion posted of how to deal with these type of people. It is important to stay upbeat because if you get angry you will give yourself get a big headache and make other vegans look bad. I make a lot of effort in non-vegan friendly restaurants to remain cheerful. I try to smile and ask for a good vegan recommendation. If there is nothing on the menu, they often make something for me. If you are tired of what often is the only choice for us: pasta with red sauce, let them know. A lot of people do not know what vegan means. I am sure all of you run into this. I have had the hardest time when I have been sick in a hospital. The hospital workers at Good Samaritan were rude to me, telling me things like I could just pick the meat out of the pasta. I told the dietician that the fat from the meat was already in the sauce. Dieticians should know vegans can't break down animal fat after we have not eaten it for a few years. I told her she should esp. understand this since she works in the city with the largest vegetarian/vegan population in the U.S. outside of San Fran. They still behaved very pissily. I should have said, "Why don't you serve all the Hindus here hamburgers and all the Jewish and Muslims patients pork?" All of these are examples of going against people's personal beliefs. But if it is a religious belief, they make an exception. If it is merely based on our own yearnings for having a compassionate diet, they sometimes become very insensitive. Both are moral choices. I called and complained to the proper person later but I never got a call back from Good Samaritan. Makes me feel that this hospital is not named properly.shock