Tucson Vegan Meetup Message Board › new restaurants - all VERY un-vegan friendly

new restaurants - all VERY un-vegan friendly

Karen
user 8066250
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 1
There are a lot of new downtown restaurants opening lately and they all seem to be super un-vegan friendly. In addition, I've noticed places that I was able to eat/stomach before (like Downtown Kitchen + Cocktails) has become reprehensible. When we first moved to Tucson almost five years ago it felt more vegan friendly than it currently does. The trend is disturbing.

Any other thoughts?
Melissa A.
user 64501522
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 2
Bummer. I haven't checked out many of the new places, but I've heard Reilly's has a vegan pizza and Sparkroot (fairly new) has tons of vegan options. Thunder Canyon Brewery's other locations have vegan options, so I assume their downtown location does too, but I haven't been there yet. Honestly if I go downtown to eat I usually go to Cafe Desta because that's my favorite restaurant anywhere :-)

It is unfortunate that many places with the 'local' or 'farm to table' emphasis concentrate on meat and cheese :-( That is certainly not a Tucson specific problem though.
Jenny
user 7892174
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 1
I hadn't heard of Cafe Desta but looking at their menu online, I can't wait to try it! Thanks for the tip. I also was excited to see you say that Thunder Canyon had vegan options, so I looked up their menu, but I don't see any vegan entrees and only one vegan appitizer, Hummus. Do they have a vegan cheese that's not on their menu maybe?
Karen
user 8066250
Tucson, AZ
I don't want to frequent restaurants that have one "token" vegan item. I want to be welcomed into the establishment without modification, special requests or pay for cheese, mayo, etc. and leave it off. It's just plain off-putting and second class citizen-ish. Those "token" items are for the times when carnivores bring their weird vegan friend to a restaurant. That's why I'm calling them un-vegan friendly. The newest ones I'm aware of are Diablo Burger and Proper both from Flagstaff. Both are "farm to table" which as you point out don't seem to include fruits and vegetables.

Thanks for the tip on Cafe Desta!
Melissa A.
user 64501522
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 3
My partner is not vegan and neither are many of my friends, so I'm pretty happy with at least one vegan option (better than iceberg salad). I think a portabello burger is what I got at one of their other locations (no cheese, no mayo). They didn't have anything labeled, I had to ask and they had to ask the cook. I prefer places that are friendlier and always make a big deal of thanking them for having optionS and labeling them as such.

Desta advertises their vegan-friendliness and they're super nice. Also, delicious. Possible meetup location? You can bring your own bottle too and I don't think they've ever charged us for corkage. I read about those Flagstaff places coming to town and they do sound awful. Ari's newish place at Broadway & Country Club, Falora, has vegan pizza and salads and they're delicious!
https://www.facebook....­
No vegan cheese, just good traditional-style pizza that doesn't skip on toppings. :-)
Melissa T.
user 39597852
Tucson, AZ
Also new downtown: Urban Fresh, which is all vegan, and about half raw. Not new downtown, but very vegan friendly, is Cup Café.

There are a lot of new downtown restaurants opening lately and they all seem to be super un-vegan friendly. In addition, I've noticed places that I was able to eat/stomach before (like Downtown Kitchen + Cocktails) has become reprehensible. When we first moved to Tucson almost five years ago it felt more vegan friendly than it currently does. The trend is disturbing.

Any other thoughts?