align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The New Orleans Vegetarian Meetup Message Board › About the veggie festival

About the veggie festival

A former member
Post #: 9
Hi you all!

We had an interesting meeting last Sunday. It was nice for me to find people sharing a similar background with. Anyway, since I'm not vegan, I had a nice talk with Leslie about the festival being only vegan and not veggie. And I'd like to share here my thoughts about it. First of all, I want to point out that I understand perfectly the vegan point of view, since I'm vegetarian mostly for ethical reasons, besides the healthy ones, of course. But I must say that I find much easier to follow ethical reasons as a vegetarian in Spain than in this country. The food industry is terrible everywhere, this is sadly true, but in Spain it's still possible to find many rural places where they produce their dairy products and eggs trying not to harm animals. And there are many co-op at the big cities consisting of committed people that look for this kind of products with a lot of careful.

I must say I've considered several times to become a vegan, but the healthy reasons (the lack of B12 and so on) had made me to weigh up what was better for me, whether to take supplements or to eat eggs or dairy that fulfil those needs. And I always ended up finding better for me to follow a more natural way of feeding, avoiding as much as I can the industrial processed stuff. I've made my self many questions such as, Is it worst the methane coming out from the cows or the contamination coming out from the factories processing supplements and packaged food, that are using derivatives of petroleum? And what about the genetic modified soya (almost all the soya in the world is genetic modified) to produce soy-milk, tofu and all this stuff? And, is it worst to wear leather shoes or carry a leather handbag or to wear synthetic garments which come from that kind of factories I mentioned before? Is it worst...? Actually, I've never been sure to find the correct answer to all those questions that come up to my mind from time to time. In the end, what I think is that it's almost impossible to be 100% coherent, so there will be many “kind” of vegetarian-vegan people and all the positions should be respected as far as we are pursuing a common goal, to live in a more natural way where the animals are respected.

Then, in my opinion, a veggie festival based only on the vegan option, it's closing doors to many non-veggie people that are trying to approach to this philosophy of life, since to became a vegan sounds like a really hard election. I think that we should try gathering as many people as possible that share or are about to embrace this philosophy of life. I'm thinking not only of the people considering become veggie but also the farmers and ranchers who are making a big effort to change how things are going on about animals. If I were a rancher having laying hens living in the most natural way because I'm thinking not only on business but on ethics, I'd like to count with a place where to show who I am and what I'm doing in favor of animals. And a veggie festival is the perfect place to do it.

In my opinion, I would agree that is not possible to mix veggie with vegan. I'm picturing one veggie-vegan festival as an event where the information about all this matter is clearly transmitted. It is really important to point out the difference of being a vegetarian or a vegan. It's crucial to inform that if one choose to buy the common brands of dairy or eggs at the markets where we usually go, the way that they are produced is at expense of exploiting animals. And it should be necessary to show clearly with data, pictures and figures how this actually happens. Then, if there are in our community producers really concerned about this and they are able to proof that they are commercializing dairy and/or eggs coming from animals living a “wonderful” life, I think that those people should count with their boots in one veggie-vegan festival. It's important to remark the difference between vegetarian and vegan, but it's also important for me that the difference it makes not to lose people for the cause.

Well, these are my thoughts, just for sharing my point of view with you all. See you at the potluck!
Twila
user 7340634
New Orleans, LA
Post #: 35
Dairy and eggs are not vegetables , therefore the definition of veggie -vegan are the same : plant based diet / plant based lifestyle . Therefore , whether you want to call it Veggie Fest or Vegan Fest it is all the same , we do not believe in exploiting animals for meat , dairy or eggs . I think the confusion lies in lacto ,ovo vegetarians calling themselves vegetarians .
A former member
Post #: 10
Hi,
My master of English language is not good enough to know the right meaning of veggie, I thought it meant vegetarian as ovo-lacto.

Maybe the word "vegetarian" is not accurate enough, but I think its widely accepted to label to this kind of people. Anyway, I agree about the fact of not exploiting animals to feed my self. I do believe that it's possible to get eggs and milk without exploit the animals. Difficult to get it, but possible.

Anyway, it has turned out surprising to me to find vegans using leather shoes or leather handbags at the two meetings where I've gone...

Cheers!