addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The New Orleans Vegetarian Meetup Message Board › Best Vegetarian Restaurants in New Orleans

Best Vegetarian Restaurants in New Orleans

A former member
Post #: 69
Okay, so what are some of the best vegetarian restaurants in New Orleans? I know this is a bit of a trick question, as there aren't any listed in the food guides, but I'm willing to count restaurants with vegetarian options. Hey, we're in New Orleans and will have to take what we can get... for now.
user 7617770
New Orleans, LA
Post #: 1
Welcome to New Orleans and Good Luck in Law School!

I moved here from Tucson in 2002 and worked hard to find decent Veg food! All the Mid-Eastern places are amazing! There is a place on Frenchmen Street called 13 and they have tofu po boys and other great veg food! August Moon Uptown is fabulous for Vegan Chinese food! Kyoto has plenty of Vegan selections too, most Japanese places do! Nirvana is great for Indian food but usually they use dairy! Mexican restaurants like Juans, and a few other places in the Quarter are Veg friendly! Vitality out in Metairie is wonderful! There is also going to be a Healing Center opening on St. Claude, maybe in the spring? Not only will they have a Food Co-op but they will have a restaurant with a large selection of Vegan and Raw food! Back to the Garden is decent too! It can be a challenge to find quality Veg food in this city but not impossible! I believe it has become more Veg friendly here in the last several years!

A former member
Great topic! I don't have much to add, as I am new to the Vegetarian lifestyle.

I can add the Asian Cajun at 8400 Oak street has a page of vegetarian options, and the JuJu Bag on Franklin in Gentilly has some good veggie sandwiches (I like the vegan panini). (and they both have nice outdoor dining space!)

Juliet mentioned a few I haven't tried - I look forward to sampling their fares ....

peace to you all,
user 8070482
New Orleans, LA
I heard through the grapevine that there will be a restaurant serving exclusively vegetarian cuisine opening in the very near future.
A former member
Post #: 71
Wow! I haven't even heard of most of those suggestions. I can't wait to check them out.

What about places like Mona's, Bennachin, or Angeli on Decatur? They come up frequently when you do a search for vegetarian in New Orleans.
A former member
Post #: 2
I go to Jazmine Cafe at the riverbend about once a week. The tofu and avocado noodle bowl is delicious and the tofu spring rolls are great. There are other vegan options, but I haven't ever tried them, I love my tofu and avocado too much! Bennachin is great (and cheap), Mona's is good, and Angeli is good. Also, Fresco has a portabello sandwich that was tasty without the cheese and mayo, they put Marinera on instead for me.
A former member
Post #: 3
i worked for my friedn Allison who manages the New Orleans Cake Cafe on Spain and Chartres. its so not a vegan place, but they know what vegan means as vegys work there and Allison was a personal chef doing macro and raw. so, you can get salads and the best bagels around and say your veg or vegan and they will accommodate. i get bagels with olive oil. their produce and ingredients are top notch.

on the West Bank it THE best Thai place that is very vegan friendly - can't think of it. damnit! hey, i'll start a google map with these suggestions!

I've shared a map with you called Vegy New Orleans:­
A former member
Post #: 2
I went by Asian Cajun the other day and it is closed - bummer
and it is going to be a bbq place - so probably not so vegetarian ....

I love the map idea - that's great - we can just keep adding to it as we go!
A former member
Post #: 73
The map is great! We should post a link to that on our main page.