addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The New Orleans Vegetarian Meetup Message Board › Just some questions for all members...

Just some questions for all members...

Mary (.
user 12121384
Mandeville, LA
Post #: 3
This may be a strange question to some, but is anyone here into the punk/hard core music scene? I am asking because that is one of my favorite styles of music and it would be cool to have someone to catch a show with. What type of music do all of you like? Second question, do any of you like to read if so what type of books do you enjoy? Because book swapping can be fun and its a great way to learn about new authors out there. Third question what kind of companion-pets does everyone have? I think most of you heard I have chickens. I also have a little papillion. Final question, I see most people did not answer this question in their profiles, but I am interested to know, What made you give up meat?

Thank you in advance to those who choose to respond.

Mimi

( I am now signing everything by my nickname instead of Mary)
A former member
Post #: 3
Hey Mimi,

Happy to respond...

I can't say I'm a punk/hard core music fan specifically, but I do enjoy lots of different music: Timo Maas, Razorlight, Beatles, Tom Waits... just to name a few.

I LOVE to read, mostly non-fiction with a personal/spiritual growth focus. Three favorites: The Road Less Traveled, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, The 4-Hour Work Week.

I purposely don't have any pets since I'm aiming to travel quite a bit in the coming years.

I confess: I gave up meat purely for selfish reasons. I wanted to see what a veg diet could do for me and was pleasantly surprised. It was just last year that I made the change, and I wrote all about it on my blog: http://www.ndoherty.c...­

Cheers,
Dots

(That's my old nickname from back home)
Mary (.
user 12121384
Mandeville, LA
Post #: 4
Hey Dots, thanks for responding. I like non fiction myself like "Under and Alone and "The Unwanted" I also like historical fiction too. I have heard of the books you read except the 4 hour work week. Thank you I am always looking for good reads. Its good to have someone elses view on a book instead of always taking a gamble on a book and hating it. That is super responsible too not having pets if you know you will not be around as much as they would require. I only know the Beatles out of the groups you mentioned and I really consider them to be a big part of my taste and foundation in music. I like all sorts of music myself, but my favorite is hardcore/punk.

Yeah, your reason for giving up meat was that like a challenge to yourself? I think most of us either read or saw something that became seared into our brains and was easy to give up (for me) after just a little reading about factory farming and having pet chickens made me feel like a hypocrite to eat chicken, but I quit all meat when I decided to not eat chickens anymore. I will check out your blog. Thanks again, Dots.

Mimi :>
A former member
Post #: 4
Mimi:
I'm all over the map in my musical interests: Brazilian, jazz, chill, house, blues, rock, world, New Orleans, opera, zydeco are some of my favorites. Unfortunately, I don't go out much because cigarette smoke really negatively affects me. Our state's lack of comprehensive indoor anti-smoking law ended my club-hopping days, circa 2004.

I'm a self-employed writer. I don't really have time to read books anymore. When I do, I always gravitate toward non-fiction. (That's probably the reporter in me.) I subscribe to Vogue, Psychology Today and VegNews. Only Vogue gets consumed in toto over two or three days each month.

I've never had pets. I'm allergic to fur. My family tends to suffer with respiratory issues and skin afflictions.

I think this Meet-up system is spitting out biographical information. I completed the whole survey when I signed up last summer. I never did see my completed bio, then last week nothing was there. So I started again.

I went veg in 1988/89. I've been experimenting on my body since I was 16. Until I had to pay for the expensive, bloody product with my own money, eating meat was fairly optional. The college-student grocery bill - and my work study wages - made it easy to transition out of carnivorousness. Then, I took Environmental Studies and made the ecological connection to meat's role in raping the planet while millions around the world still starve. That pretty much did it. I've never looked back. Unwittingly went vegan 10 years later.

Hope this helps you get to know us better.

Dion cool

P.S., I do like punk bands like Blondie and the Clash. Was pleasantly surprised today that GreenDay is actually a pretty hip band. I don't like people bumping into me, though...

Mary (.
user 12121384
Mandeville, LA
Post #: 6
Dion, Thanks for replying. I do think the place for our bios lack on info that some people may like to give and or things that are interesting to other members. Its not like one could get to know someone just from a bio, but I am interested in what the different members like, dislike because I do hope to meet everyone here at some point. We are all here for a common goal that is for sure, but I hope to make some real friends here and learning just a little about someone is a small start. Thank you again, Dion. Hope to meet you at one of the up coming meet ups.

Mimi
A former member
Post #: 8
Mimi:
You are welcome! I'm curious: Who's in your cd carousel right now? (I'm listening to Ani DiFranco's "To The Teeth." Aside from her, everything else is world music: French, Meditarrean and Cuban.)

Do you slam dance? Did you attend the big punk/ska block party in April? How was it?

Dion
Mary (.
user 12121384
Mandeville, LA
Post #: 19
Sorry Dion, I have not been on this site in a couple of weeks. I don't have a cd carousel anymore I have a little nano i pod. I have a pretty big range of music in there I guess I have stuff like Patsy Cline and Sinatra to Styx and INXS to AFI and Bau Haus. I used to slam dance yes! I did not know about that event in April :< That would have been right up my alley!

World music is so relaxing and beautiful. I will check out Ani DiFranco.

Sorry it took so long to reply and thanks for answering my silly questions though.

Mimi :>