VegSarasota Vegetarian & Vegan Meetup Group Message Board › ** Recipes ** - Let This be the forum to post recipes.

** Recipes ** - Let This be the forum to post recipes.

A former member
Post #: 46
Please post any recipes you would like to share with the group here as well as requests.

Dill
A former member
Post #: 47
Vegan Potato Salad: (some of you may have sampled this at the Vegetarian Festival)

4 potatoes (any kind you like)
3 stalks of celery
3 dill pickles
handful, fine chopped parsley
few springs dill
3 tablespoons pickle juice
1 tablespoon mustard
salt to taste
1 cup of vegan mayonnaise dressing (see recipe below)

cut potatoes into small wedges, boil potatoes
while waiting for them to boil finely chop parsley pickles and celery. When potatoes are tender (approx 10 mins) drain, quick rinse with cold water. Put in a bowl and add celery, pickles and parsley. The add the rest of the ingredients (dill, pickle juice, mustard, salt, mayo) Chill. Enjoy

VEGAN MAYONNAISE DRESSING
1 cup plain soy or rice milk
3/4 cup olive oil or whatever you have on hand
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons lemon juice

add all ingredients to a bowl or blender and mix. pour over potatoes.

PS I like this recipe obviously because of the dill pickles! Heehee....
Chris
sifakaboy
Sarasota, FL
Post #: 5
I just made the tater-salad and it is super-tastie!
bri
user 2324099
Bradenton, FL
Post #: 1
Yay Dill!! Thanks for posting this.

I have a request :) My favorite thing at the SDA event was your pumpkin pie mini tarts-turned bread pudding!! Is it the same recipe as the pies at the Thanksgiving dinner? They were fabulous! Would you mind posting that recipe here?

Thanks!
A former member
Hey everyone,

Here are some of my favorites. By they way, I have lots of recipes. Just let me know if anyone would like any.

Grilled Marinated Portobello Mushrooms

4 large fresh portabello mushroom caps
3 cups dry red wine
2 tbsp. shallots or red onions (minced)
2 tbsp. fresh garlic (chopped)

1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary (chopped)
1/2 tsp. dry thyme
To taste salt and pepper

Place mushrooms in a shallow pan; combine remaining ingredients and pour over the top of the mushrooms. Marinate for 1-2 hours, turning once. Remove from marinade and cook on hot grill for 3 minutes on each side. Slice and serve as a side dish or main course.

Fresh Basil Pesto

1 cup of fresh basil leaves
3 tablespoons of pine nuts or walnuts
3 large cloves of garlic
olive oil

Puree the ingredients in a food processor or blender. Slowly add
just enough olive oil to make a smooth paste.

Spring-Greens Soup

Any combination of fresh greens can be used in this soup; just be sure the total weight amounts to 1 1/2 pounds.

Serving: Serves: 8

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large bulb fennel, chopped
1/2 pound dandelion greens, cleaned and chopped
1/2 pound mustard greens, cleaned and chopped
1/2 pound baby spinach leaves, cleaned
4 cloves garlic
6 cups reduced-sodium canned vegetable broth
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup half-and-half
Sprouts (optional)

1. In a 4-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and fennel; sauté until vegetables soften and are lightly browned - about 10 minutes. Add dandelion greens, mustard greens, spinach, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until greens wilt - about 5 minutes. Add vegetable broth, pepper, and salt. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes.
2. Working in small batches with a blender, purée soup and transfer each batch to a 3-quart saucepan. Stir in half-and-half and reheat over low heat. When ready to serve, divide soup among bowls and garnish with sprouts, if desired.

Enjoy! smile
A former member
since we all love SUBLIME, here's a recipe a coworker on the east coast sent me from the South Florida Sun Sentinel for their CARROT CAKE SUBLIME.

CAKE BATTER:
2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp ground ginger
1tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 TB cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 LB (3 sticks) Earth Balance butter at room temp
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup soymilk
1 TB pure vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts
3 cups shredded carrots
1 1/2 cups seedless raisins

Vanilla Frosting:
1/3 cup Earth Balance butter at room temp
1 LB soy cream cheese at room temp
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 ? 3 cups sifted confectioners sugar

preheat oven to 350º

to make the batter: lightly oil a 9X3 1/2 inch springform pan and cover outside of bottom with aluminum foil. set aside.
in a large bowl, whisk flour, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda & salt. transfer to a large piece of wax paper.
in same bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream butter & sugar til light & fluffy. on low speed, beat in applesauce, soy milk & vanilla. fold in dry ingredients, then walnuts, carrots & raisins. mix well.
transfer to prepared pan and bake for 45 ? 50 minutes until done.
when cool, remove side of pan and using a spatual help slide cake off bottom and onto a plate.
to make frosting: with a mixer, cream butter and cream cheese until light. add vanilla and enough sugar to acheive spreading consistency. frost top and sides of cake. makes 20 servings.

ENJOY!
kreg*
A former member
Post #: 17
mmmm, yummy! but not as good as the vegan chocolate peanut butter cheesecake you make! hehee

since we all love SUBLIME, here's a recipe a coworker on the east coast sent me from the South Florida Sun Sentinel for their CARROT CAKE SUBLIME.

CAKE BATTER:
2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp ground ginger
1tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 TB cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 LB (3 sticks) Earth Balance butter at room temp
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup soymilk
1 TB pure vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts
3 cups shredded carrots
1 1/2 cups seedless raisins

Vanilla Frosting:
1/3 cup Earth Balance butter at room temp
1 LB soy cream cheese at room temp
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 ? 3 cups sifted confectioners sugar

preheat oven to 350º

to make the batter: lightly oil a 9X3 1/2 inch springform pan and cover outside of bottom with aluminum foil. set aside.
in a large bowl, whisk flour, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda & salt. transfer to a large piece of wax paper.
in same bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream butter & sugar til light & fluffy. on low speed, beat in applesauce, soy milk & vanilla. fold in dry ingredients, then walnuts, carrots & raisins. mix well.
transfer to prepared pan and bake for 45 ? 50 minutes until done.
when cool, remove side of pan and using a spatual help slide cake off bottom and onto a plate.
to make frosting: with a mixer, cream butter and cream cheese until light. add vanilla and enough sugar to acheive spreading consistency. frost top and sides of cake. makes 20 servings.

ENJOY!
kreg*

A former member
Post #: 6
FAKE CHICKEN SALAD AKA TEMPEH SALAD

12 oz tempeh, cubed
1-2 stalks celery, chopped fine
1 carrot, chopped fine
1 large dill pickle, chopped fine
2-3 scallions, chopped fine
1 tbs fresh parsley, chopped fine
1/2 c soy mayonaise
1 tbs dijon or yellow mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

Place tempeh cubes in boiling, salted water and simmer on low for about 12 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool (or put in fridge while you chop everything). Combine celery, carrot, pickle, scallion and parsley. Mush chilled tempeh with fork or hands then add to veggie mixture along with mayo, mustard, lemon, and salt and pepper. Fold everything together and cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutest to let the flavors meld.

NOTE: I found the tempeh that comes in the red package at Whole Foods is the best for this recipe. The kind that comes in the long, skinny yellow package has a weird texture for this salad.

Enjoy!
A former member
Post #: 15
I posted here last year...but as the new "season" starts, wanted to mention PCRM's The Cancer Project's "Food for Life" classes are starting again in the Sarasota-Bradenton area. These are free classes, free recipes and a free recipe book (at the multi-class series only). Lunch is also free. I won 2 Emmys during my 18 years as a TV investigative reporter and teach these classes in my spare time because I'm the only female in my larege family without breast cancer or heart disease.

I've been trained by The Cancer Project in Washington, DC. Classes are at Whole Foods in Sarasota (starting this Tuesday at 11 a.m.) and on Fridays at St. Bernard's Church in Holmes Beach at 11:30 a.m. You can check the schedule at www.cancerproject.org­ and click on "classes" and then scroll down to Florida.

The Cancer Project advances cancer prevention and survival through nutrition education and research. With over 1.3 million people being diagnosed with cancer in the US each year there is an urgent need for a new direction in battling this disease. The Cancer Project brings an innovative approach to this medical challenge. We aim first to prevent cancer. When cancer has been diagnosed we work to improve survival. Through research and education we empower people with information about how the right food choices can help them keep and regain their health. We use a low-fat plant based diet. High fat is linked in numerous studies to excessive estrogen and testosterone production which can be the fuel for some cancers. The website is full of research and studies for more info.
A former member
Post #: 12
when I was vegetarian, I used to love spanakopita
it is basically a spinach pie available at greek restaurants
which usually has spinach, feta cheese and fillo dough.

however, I found this vegan version and it is even better!
instead of feta cheese, tofu is used.
Whole foods has fillo or Phylo dough in their frozen foods
section and it is vegan.

-anouk

Ingredients:

* 2-3 sheets of puff pastry (Pampas is vegan)
* 1 onion, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, crushed (or 1 teaspoon minced garlic)
* 2 tablespoons oil for frying
* 1 bunch silverbeet (Swiss chard) or spinach, washed and chopped (or 250g pkg frozen spinach)
* 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
* pepper to taste
* 375g block firm tofu, drained
* 1/3 cup vegetable oil
* 1 tablespoon vegetable stock powder
* 1 tablespoon soy sauce
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 tablespoon soymilk for glazing
* Sesame seeds, optional

Directions:
Pre-thaw pastry sheets. Preheat oven to 190ºC (375ºF).

Fry onion and garlic in the 2 tablespoons oil until softened. Add silverbeet/spinach and sauté for 5 minutes. Add nutmeg and pepper; mix well and remove from heat.

Put tofu, oil, stock powder, soy sauce, lemon juice, and salt in food processor (or use a masher), and blend until smooth. Add this mixture to the spinach mixture and combine.

Grease a large 24 x 20 cm (8.5 x 11") baking dish and line with pastry, leaving some to overlap over edge. Place mixture in pastry case, flatten out evenly. Place rest of pastry on top of mixture, pinch and fold sides to enclose properly.

Glaze top with soymilk. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top if desired. Bake 35-40 minutes until pastry is browned.

Comments:
This delicious pie combines a tofu ricotta filling with spinach or silverbeet. The result is a very tasty and highly nutritious dish. Serve with salad or vegetables.