addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

VegSarasota Vegetarian & Vegan Meetup Group Message Board › VegSarasota Outreach Coordinators - Letters 2 the Community

VegSarasota Outreach Coordinators - Letters 2 the Community

A former member
Post #: 66
Use this discussion to copy/paste emails or other letters you've sent out to the community to help educate businesses, schools and other groups about the veggie lifestyle.

Thanks Team!

Dill
A former member
Post #: 67
Sent this out via email to a new business, Thyme For Dinner.
______________________________________­_____

Cherie,

I just read a press release about Thyme For Dinner, and was intrigued by the concept of the business. I love that you're promoting folks to learn about food preparation and getting them back in the kitchen as an active role in their family's meal planning. Your company presents a unique opportunity bringing convenience to the daunting task of shopping/cooking and educational source for cooking/nutrition.

I was however, disappointed to see that all of your entrees are animal based. With a growing 3% of the population moving to a plant based diet I would hope you would not want to turn away this untapped market share. In today's marketplace there are so many meat alternative products that could be substituted right in place of meat / dairy items used in your current recipes.

In your future planning and development, should you need assistance modifying recipes / guidance with products / help finding distributors / ect, please feel free to contact me. We offer this service to the food industry free of charge.

In addition, adding 1 or 2 vegetarian/vegan meals to your menu would truly show your commitment to providing, "delicious and nutritious meals for your family." Especially in the culture rich and health conscious Sarasota/Bradenton area, it is important for the plant based meal offerings to be included.

Sincerely,

Dill

Jennifer "Dill" Ward
www.VegSarasota.com
Your Vegetarian & Vegan Guide to Sarasota, FL
Read My Blog
Find us on MySpace
Email response I received:

Thank you Dill for your comments

The Bee Ridge location is the only that offers organic and vegetarian right now...it
doesn't talk much about that on the website yet.

All meat dishes can be substituted with fish or shrimp, and many people bring their
own tofu crumbles too.

Right now, the demand is not there for us to sustain those entrees. If you would
like to set up a party with your friends, we can work it out to be vegetarian.

Thanks!
Cherie

No demand for healthy options???? See why we need to keep educating the public folks? ;)
- Dill
Raylon
Stngray
Sarasota, FL
Post #: 39
Thanks Dill for planting the seed.
I like how she says "meat dishes can be substituted with fish or shrimp". Because you know fish is a plant right?

I would like to ask anyone who has expressed interest in being a part of the letter writing group to send a thank you letter to Siam Orchid for the recent dinner. Some highlights for your letter my include - The event was on August 27th sponsored by VegSarasota, we had about 60 people in attendance, they served several vegan dishes, the staff was very friendly, and I personally enjoyed the fact that they served only veggie dishes that night.

Siam Orchid / Attn: Nissy
4141 S Tamiami Trail #10
Sarasota, FL 34231

We will be passing around a thank you card for signatures at the next meetup, which we will also mail to them.

Regards,
Raylon
Raylon
Stngray
Sarasota, FL
Post #: 40
Until recently, I didn't know that Ben & Jerry's used eggs in some of their ice creams (because I don't consume dairy). But I recently discovered this campaign to get them to at least procure less cruelly obtained eggs.

Join the Humane Society of the United States campaign

Action: Call Ben & Jerry?s headquarters at 802-846-1500 between 9am-5pm EST

Congratulate them on deciding to evaluate the cage-free egg possibility and removing Michael Foods from their egg suppliers (Michael Foods have been documented as having some of the worst conditions for their hens in the egg industry).

B&J has also recently decided to adhere to the United Egg Producer guidelines. While taking this step to is a positive move in the right direction, these ?rules? really have no animal welfare guidelines and they are truly ineffective

Politely urge them to take the logical next step and that Battery Cage Eggs should be eliminated from their supply chain entirely. It is a very cruel process, and that a company like Ben & Jerrys shouldn't be a part of it.

A simple comment via phone call could do wonders to save thousands or even millions of birds from unnecessary cruelty.

Thank you all,
Raylon Smith
Raylon
Stngray
Sarasota, FL
Post #: 42
This is an email I just sent to info(at)sublimerestaurant.com - If you're curious like I am, please send them your thoughts/concerns/questions.

We want to plan a VegSarasota field trip to there, but they have to be open for us to do it! Apparently they mysteriously closed a month or so ago temporarily. If you're not familiar with Sublime, visit their web page to find out why you REEEALLY want them to be open.

--

Good day,

I realize you must be overwhelmed with this question, but I have to ask it as no one I know has heard anything.

After the beautiful renovation from the storms, why are you once again closed? We have a large vegetarian/vegan community on the west coast and many of us are dying to visit your wonderful restaurant once again.

Any information that you could share on plans to re-open would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for your time
-Raylon
Raylon
Stngray
Sarasota, FL
Post #: 43
Greetings all, I Just received this letter, and even though I likely wont see the display which is mentioned, I think it's great that they're raising awareness in a public place, so I've sent a simple thank you letter to comments@ocls. info as suggested. Please consider doing the same:

----

Hello Everyone!

An educational display to promote compassion for chickens has
been set up at the Orlando Public Library located at 101 East
Central Blvd (Rosalind Ave and Central Blvd). The exhibit can be
found on the Third Floor (Collection Area) during the entire month
of September.
Sponsored in part by Farm Sanctuary, the display depicts some
of the conditions hens who are exploited for their eggs endure. It
also portrays some of the realities behind the eating of chicken
flesh.
The industry that profits from the torture and death of chickens
is celebrating its 18th Annual National Chicken Month. I decided to
take this opportunity to show our community how chickens are treated
when financial gain is involved.
In the display you will not find a sign that reads "go
vegetarian", yet it provides viewers with an opportunity to
critically think about their eating habits.
I invite everyone to visit the exhibit and encourage others to
see it also. If you see fit, please thank the library for offering
this educational display. The library accepts comments and
suggestions through: comments@ocls. info.
On its web page, the Orlando Public Library announces the
display under the title: "Our Friends at the Farm". Check it out HERE

If you have any questions or comments about the display or if
you would like to schedule a humane education presentation please
contact me at kipnemily@yahoo. com

Thanks!

Emily Bellairs, M.Ed.
Humane Educator
-----------

PS - I will be collecting these recent posts as well as some new thoughts or chances to take action and will be e-mailing them to those who have previously expressed interest in getting involved with the VegSarasota Outreach program.

Thank you,
Raylon
A former member
Post #: 3
I just heard from coworkers on the east coast that Sublime is still indeed closed and it was something financial having to do with their lease/mortgage on the property. I'm not sure if this is accurate, but it doesnt look like they'll be opening anytime soon. :( bummer......
A former member
Post #: 5
I've emailed two chains - Chipotle and O'Naturals - to let them know that we are hungry for veg friendly restaurants around here. Although neither of these chains is strictly vegetarian/vegan, they do offer quite a few options for both diets and they also state in their mission statements that they utilize local farms whenever possible and abstain from factory farming and other inhumane practices. I've also sent EVOs a "welcome to town" letter and they sent back a response saying they're eager to be joining our community.

I also just emailed Sublime in hopes that they'll get flooded with emails so they know how well loved they are amongst the vegetarian and vegan communities.

I'll keep everyone posted on responses from restaurants...and if anyone has any suggestions on restaurants or stores that I should research, please let me know -

Thanks!
Raylon
Stngray
Sarasota, FL
Post #: 44
Thanks for the tip Craig, I have to hope it's inaccurate though! That would be heartbreaking :(

Way to go Sam! I saw the letter you wrote to Evo's and their response, it was great and I'm happy to mark this down as the first success of our outreach! Can't wait for some air fries :)