Once again the Catoctin Mountain climbing range is upon us, and oh boy will it be - no typo its 8,200 feet of climbing over 6 primary climbs
Note this is a Class B/B+ ride, with significant amount of climbing, including many long climbs. If you haven't been working on you climbing before this ride, this is not the ride to start your climbing training on. See climb stats below for idea of difficulty of climbs and note that the grade listed is the average grade, almost all climbs have steep mid teens to mid 20s percent grades on the climb
We start with a few mile warm up before we hit the the Hamburg Rd climb.
- Hamburg @ mile 4 - 5 miles, 1,200 ft - 4.5% avg grade - grade is somewhat misleading as the last 1+ miles is only 1-3%, middle section has sections over 10%
After descending down Highland School we loop back around and climb Middlepoint Road back to the top of Gambrill State Park
- Middlepoint Rd @ mile 14 - 1.5 miles, 750 ft - 9.5% avg grad, with sections in mid to high teens %
We then descend back down via the top portion of Highland School and then Fishers Hollow and make our way around to the first rest stop in Myersville (mile 27). Its then onto the Harp Hill Road climb (the opposite direction from most rides)
-Harp Hill (backwards direction) @ mile 30 - 2 miles, 700 ft - 6.6% avg grade, with sections over 10%
After a quick descent we roll up Stottlemyer (also backwards from most rides)
- Stottlemyer @ mile 33 - 2.5 miles, 460 ft - 3.5% avg grade
rolling along from there we'll descend the roller coaster descent of Wolfsville Rd into Smithsburg and the traditional Dollar Store rest stop (mile 40-41). Almost immediately out of the rest stop we climb back up Wolfsville followed by almost 10 miles of rolling descents to our last rest stop at mile 54-55 back in Myersville
- Wolfsville climb @ mile 41 - 2 miles, 680 ft - 6.5% avg grade
After the last rest stop we're almost home...if it wasn't for that last climb of Coxey Brown
- Coxey Brown @ mile 57.5 - 1.8 miles, 1,000 ft - 10.5% avg grade - beginning & end sections ramp up into mid to high teens % grade, with sections over 20% (for prolonged distances)
Once the climb is conquered we roll through Grambrill State Park and descend Gambrill Park Rd and Route 40 (on shoulder) back to the mall. Hey the last 5 miles is all downhill
Note: What goes up may come down. Some descents can be technical and fast. Use caution on descents and know your own limitations on speed and bike handling.
Total distance:approx 67 miles
Total elevation climbed: approx 8200 feet
Pace: Medium: 14+ mph avg (climbing tends to slow one down); Category B/B+ ride, not for the novice rider. Should be at least at an intermediate ride skill level and be able to climb longer and steeper climbs w/o having to walk
Start/Finish: Boscov's parking lot - Frederick Mall - 45 min/1hr from DC area - carpooling recommended. Closest metro is Shady Grove for those that want to co-ordinate carpooling from metro
Highlights: climbing, climbing, climbing... and a few fast descents
route/cue sheet can be viewed at the link below:
- It is highly recommended, but not mandatory, that you attend at least one of the prior climbing training events. I like to have a feel of everyone's riding pace before the ride. While group is likely to break into smaller packs during the ride and ride is intended to be a no drop ride, given the amount of climbing it is difficult to maintain entire group together. It is not fair to the faster riders to have to wait too long at top of the climbs. I will have cue sheets available but it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the ride route prior to the ride in case the group splits.
Because of the climbing I will maintain a ride limit of 25 riders. In the past this has allowed for group to typically finish within 20-40 minutes between front group and back group
HELMETS ARE REQUIRED FOR PARTICIPATION:
- ID, spare tube, portable tire pump recommended
- clip-in/cage pedals are required - too much climbing not to use all leg muscles
- road bike highly recommended.
- This ride has 3 stops and two water bottles is a must and pocket snacks are recommended
The event will be cancelled/postponed in event of rain
email me if you have any questions