Climbing series ride - This ride will cover over 70 miles and 6,200 feet of climbing. Mostly a lot of rollers, lumps and few mile + climbs. B/B+ pace on flats typically, climb as you will.
Starting in Urbana - just east of Frederick, 20 miles west of Shady Grove Metro (closest Metro station)
This ride will require driving to start. In responding please let group know if you are available to carpool and from where. Closest Metro is Shady Grove off of I270
About the ride
Starting in Urbana we will head west along rolling farm land climb Mt Zion Rd to Middletown and Myersville (1st stop mile 25). Then we hit the biggest climb of the day up to Washington Monument State Park (mile 29). We can take a break there to take in the view and if you want take a short .25 mile hike up the Appalachian Trail to the monument itself. We'll descend quickly off the mountain to Boonsboro and onto Sharpsburg and Antietam Battlefield. 2nd rest stop will be right before the battlefield around mile 39. The plan is to ride for about a mile through the battlefield but if the group wants we can ride more of the battlefield (the battlefield loop can be anywhere between 1 and 8 miles).
We will then head back east, up and over Gathland State Park and make our way east over some more bumps and back toward Urbana
While mostly lumpy, the more significant lumps/climbs are as follows:
- Mt Zion Road - at mile 12.3 - 2 miles 494 ft
- Washington Monument/Michaels Rd at mile 26 - 3.5 miles 830 ft
- Porterstown Rd at mile 42 - 2 miles 500 ft
- Gapland Rd/Gathland State Park at mile 48.5 - 1 mile 260 ft
- Mountville Road at mile 57.7 - 1 mile 250 ft
THERE WILL BE NON-FOOD/DRINK BREAKS FOR PICTURES AROUND WASHINGTON MONUMENT PARK AND ANTIETAM BATTLEFIELD - so lets keep the food/drink rest stops short
Total distance:approx 70 miles
Total elevation climbed: approx 6,200 feet
Pace: Medium: 15+ mph avg (climbing tends to slow one down); Category B/B+ ride; should be at least at an intermediate ride level (i.e. not novice) due to the amount of climbing
Terrain: lumpy/hilly, with a a couple of stretches of not too bad
Start/Finish: Urbana Park & Ride off of I270 - carpooling recommended. Closest metro is Shady Grove for those that want to co-ordinate carpooling from metro
Highlights: undulating terrain, a couple of hills, good ole Maryland farm country, multiple state parks, Antietam Battlefield
The route/cue sheet can be viewed at the link below (subject to change):
- It is highly recommended, but not mandatory, that you attend at least one of the prior climbing training events. I like to have a feel of everyone's riding pace before the ride. While group is likely to break into smaller packs during the ride and ride is intended to be a no drop ride, given the amount of climbing it is difficult to maintain entire group together. It is not fair to the faster riders to have to wait too long at top of the climbs. I will have cue sheets available but it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the ride route prior to the ride incase the group splits.
Because of the climbing I will maintain a ride limit of 25 riders. In the past this has allowed for group to typically finish within 20-40 minutes between front group and back group of each other
Size group could be increased if others are willing to step up as ride leaders.
HELMETS ARE REQUIRED FOR PARTICIPATION:
- ID, spare tube, portable tire pump recommended
- clip-in/cage pedals are required due to the amount of climbing
- Road bike is highly recommended.
- This ride has 3 planned stops so two water bottles and pocket snacks are recommended
The event will be cancelled/postponed in event of rain
email me if you have any questions