As a relief from mega-mountain rides let's do a traditional fun one.
The traditional Metros'n'Ferries 60 mile ride from Shady Grove to Dunn Loring via White's Ferry, and brunch at La Lou Bistro in Leesburg. Hilly on the Maryland side. W&OD return on the NoVa side. Complete the loop by Metro.
9am depart, sharp. Bring $2 for the ferry, and $10-$12 for brunch. And Metro money. Planning an orderly ride on the Maryland side to arrive at brunch as a no-drop group. It's usually a more raggle-taggle return on the Virginia side, on the W&OD, where route finding is not a problem - though still, no one is left to suffer alone. (Remember to get off at Gallows Road for the Dunn Loring metro).
Optional tack-on for the enthusiast: blow by Dunn Loring and keep riding on the W&OD, to your ultimate destination in Arlington, DC, down-county Montgomery, or back to Shady Grove. The full loop gives about 90 miles total.
About this ride:
- this is a 60 mile ride with significant roller-coasters over the first half. Can you handle it?
- We anticipate sustaining a 14mph average over the course. Can you handle that?
- Sign up for yourself only. Every rider must be a Member, and must sign-up individually.
- Road bikes are preferred. Hybrid and Mountain bikers tend to have a hard time especially the relatively inexperienced ones.
- If you can answer yes to all these questions, I don't think you will have a problem with this ride.
- All former graduates of this ride are unreservedly welcome.
The numbers are limited to accommodate a compact group at La Lou.