Giving everyone advance warning, I mean notice of the 1st Frederick/Catoctin ride of the year - Hopefully some will have joined in the prior Climbing Training rides to be ready for this.
Note this is a Class B/B+ ride, with significant amount of climing, including many long climbs.
Since it is the 1st Frederick ride of the year, I figured we'd start off with the old traditional ride, slightly modified to make sure we have 3 definite rest stops.
Climbing out of the gate up Shookstown & Gambrill Park, descent down Highland School, steady upgrade on Wolfsville to 1st rest stop at mile 20 (2,500+ ft already climbed). Then the ascent of Raven Rock and descent down into Thurmont to rest stop #2 at mile 35 (3,800+ ft so far). Then come the 6-7 mile climb of Rocky Ridge/Foxville. Up & down Stottlemyer to Harps Hill & into Myersville for 3rd rest stop at mile 53 (5,600+ ft). Circle back to to the 3 mile Fishers Hollow/Harmony Church climb (hey at least its not Coxey Brown) to Gambrill Park. Descend Gambrill to Route 40 and back into Frederick for a total of 69 miles and 7,200 SF of climbing. Definitely not for the faint at heart.
- 5 primary climbs as follows:
Shooksville/Gambill at mile 1 - 4 miles, 1,200 ft
Wolfsville at mile 11 - 6 miles, 750 ft
Raven Rock at mile 22 - 3 miles, 600 ft
Rocky Ridge/Foxville at mile 36 - 6.5 miles 1,200 ft
Fishers Hollow/Highland School at mile 58 - 3 miles 1000 ft
Total distance:approx 69 miles
Total elevation climbed: approx 7,400 feet
Pace: Medium: 14-16 mph avg (climbing tends to slow one down); Category B/B+ ride, not for the novice rider. SHould be at least at an intermediate ride skill level and be able to climb longer and steeper climbs w/o having to walk
Start/Finish: Boscov's parking lot - Frederick Mall - 45 min/1hr from DC area - carpooling recommended. Closest metro is Shady Grove for those that want to co-ordinate carpooling from metro
Highlights: undulating terrain, couple forested climbs, a few fast descents
The route/cue sheet can be viewed at the link below (subject to change):
- It is highly recommended, but not mandatory, that you attend at least one of the prior climbing training events. I like to have a feel of everyone's riding pace before the ride. While group is likely to break into smaller packs during the ride and ride is intended to be a no drop ride, given the amount of climbing it is difficult to maintain entire group together. It is not fair to the faster riders to have to wait too long at top of the climbs. I will have cue sheets available but it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the ride route prior to the ride uncase the group splits.
Because of the climbing I will maintain a ride limit of 25 riders. In the past this has allowed for group to typically finish within 20-40 minutes between front group and back group of each other
HELMETS ARE REQUIRED FOR PARTICIPATION:
- ID, spare tube, portable tire pump recommended
- clip-in/cage pedals are reqiured - too much climbing not to use all leg muscles
- road bike highly recommended.
- This ride has 3 stops but two water bottles and pocket snacks are recommended
The event will be cancelled/postponed in event of rain
email me if you have any questions