10 Frederick Road, Thurmont, MD
#6 in Climbing series. Starting in Thurmont - 20 min north of Frederick - i.e. site of Civil War Century Start
RIDE IS ON SATURDAY the 18th.
To mix it up a bit I figured we'd start in Thurmont this time and head south then back north over Catoctin/South Mountain area
This Ride will require driving to the start. When responding please let group know if you are available to carpool and from where. Closest Metro is Shady Grove off of I270
This ride starts out just like Civil War Century with the 7 mile climb of Rocky Ridge/Foxville. We then head towards Wolfsville via Stottlemyer for a new climb up Middlepoint Rd (shortest but steepest climb of the day. This takes us into Gambrill Park where we we descend down to Myersville for the 1st stop at 26 miles. Then comes the climb up Michaels Road to the Washington Monument (no not that one) then descent into Boonsboro so we can climb up Boonsboro Mountain and circle back to Wolfville and into Smithsburg fo the 2nd stop at mile 47. Unlike other climbs rather than Raven Rock climb we will climb the backside of Foxville. When at the top folks can either head back down the road we climbed first and back into Thurmont (cutting off about 5 miles), or as the route will show we will head over to Sabillisville and then the fast descent back into Thurmont. Either way from about mile 53 on its basically all downhill, no really it is.
- 6 primary climbs as follows:
Rocky Ridge/Foxville at mile 1 - 7 miles 1,100 ft
Middlepoint Rd/Tower Rd at mile 13.5 - 2.5 miles, 900 ft
Washington Monument/Michaels Rd at mil 28 - 2.5 miles 700 ft
Boonsboro Mountain at mile 33 - 2.5 miles, 600 ft
Wolfsville Rd at mile 43 - 2.5 miles 500 ft
Rocky Ridge backside at mile 48 - 3 miles 850 ft
Total distance:approx 62 miles
Total elevation climbed: approx 6,900 feet
Pace: Medium: 13-15 mph avg (climbing tends to slow one down); Category B/B+ ride; should be at least at an intermediate ride level (i.e. not novice) due to the amount of climbing
Terrain: hilly, with a a couple of stretches of not too bad
Start/Finish: Thurmont Park, Thurmont MD - 1:20 from DC area - carpooling recommended. Closest metro is Shady Grove for those that want to co-ordinate carpooling from metro
Highlights: undulating terrain, a couple of hills, good ole Maryland farm country
The route/cue sheet can be viewed at the link below (subject to change):
- It is highly recommended, but not mandatory, that you attend at least one of the prior climbing training events. I like to have a feel of everyone's riding pace before the ride. While group is likely to break into smaller packs during the ride and ride is intended to be a no drop ride, given the amount of climbing it is difficult to maintain entire group together. It is not fair to the faster riders to have to wait too long at top of the climbs. I will have cue sheets available but it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the ride route prior to the ride uncase the group splits.
Because of the climbing I will maintain a ride limit of 20 riders. In the past this has allowed for group to typically finish within 20-40 minutes between front group and back group of each other
Size group could be increased if others are willing to step up as ride leaders.
HELMETS ARE REQUIRED FOR PARTICIPATION:
- ID, spare tube, portable tire pump recommended
- clip-in/cage pedals are required due to the amount of climbing
- Road bike is highly recommended.
- This ride has only 2 planned stops at mile 26 & 47 so two water bottles and pocket snacks are recommended
The event will be cancelled/postponed in event of rain
email me if you have any questions