addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

VeloDCity: a Washington Area Bicycling Group Message Board › Gran Fondo Philadelphia and New York City

Gran Fondo Philadelphia and New York City

Stephen_N
j_s_nightingale
Rockville, MD
Post #: 319
Since the New York, and maybe the Colorado Gran Fondo are qualifying events for the Amateur World Championships in Belgium, they require USAC membership. Full year is $60 but you can get a one day license for $10. Since they expect about 8,000 in the NY, maybe similar numbers in the Colorado, that nets $160,000 in fees for USAC. A nice little earner. They are also run under UCI rules, so make sure your handlebars and aero frames don't exceed a 3:1 ratio.

Participants will be ranked at the start: Cat1s first through Cat 5s, then one day license holders last. So you can jump 7,500 places forward just by buying a 1 year USAC license.
Colin
ColinWDC
Rockville, MD
Post #: 38
I have also heard that there may be a Gran Fondo DC in early October 2011 (the announcement last October had a date of September 18, but that is the PPTC Back Roads Century date and understand the two ride sponsors are coordinating so there will be no conflict). Nothing more on route or anything.

I just got confirmation from Mr Gerevini of "GranFondoUSA" -- no Fondo for DC until 2012
:-(
Al S.
BikeCaseForRent
Potomac, MD
Post #: 170
I was able do a NYGF B rider Training Ride while on Business two weeks ago, it was a short but good terrain preview. Their training rides are attracting alot of B riders from accross the Metro area that they have added a less costly Medio Fondo(71 m) option at $165.
The Medio is non-competitive but will have also 2 KOM climbs. And its fair to say if you feel like a champion that day, you can Time-Trial your way to the Bear Mountain top: I dont think anyone will check your bracelet.