VeloDCity: a Washington Area Bicycling Group Message Board › June 12 - Air Force Cycling Classic Crystal Ride

June 12 - Air Force Cycling Classic Crystal Ride

Steve M.
user 9159532
Washington, DC
Post #: 6
Count me in as interested. I'd need some work to keep an 18 mph pace for 62 miles
Gregg
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 497

But for anyone who normally averages 14-15mph and thinks 17.8 is too fast, this could be your opportunity to learn how to ride in a paceline and see the advantages that gives to your speed. If the group does some paceline clinics, I'd love to participate...it's something I am not very good or comfortable doing.

Gentle Folks,

It appears that we have an official meetup. The event will be scheduled on the group calendar shortly. Considering this will be my first 'official race', I'm disinclined to participate in any pace-lining during the race because my bike handling skills could stand a lot of work(especially in tight group riding conditions). With that said, please don't let all this speed talk discourage anybody from participating. The Air Force Classic is a great event to train, prepare and establish your personal baseline for future goals. There will be plenty of speed, bike handling clinics in the weeks to come in preparation for the big race. Keep your eyes peeled on the message board and the group calendar. If you have any ideas or suggestions, please let me know.

gregg
Marc
Marc.K
Washington, DC
Post #: 2
I would love to do this and join the VeloDCity group during the event. And I'm also very interested in any paceline-training in preparation for this at Hains Pt on weekends.
Malcolm C.
user 10437979
Washington, DC
Post #: 3
I'd be up for it too, wanna work up to a real century this year as my New Years rez, so this sounds like a great build up ride, count me in!
George
user 10910266
Rockville, MD
Post #: 5
I would love to sign up in the VeloDCity Team but I know that cycling in a peloton as part of a team needs experience that can't be gained in a few rides. On the other hand the peloton goes so much faster than a solo cyclist an when you face 100 km you'd better be hided in the group. wink

I think I'll follow you

Edit : Something came up so I have to cancel. Sorry.
Marc
Marc.K
Washington, DC
Post #: 5
I missed the paceline clinic at Hains Pt on 17 Apr; I went out to Hains Pt that morning but the road was closed and I didn't see this group anywhere, so I turned around and joined the Revolution Cycles group ride up MacArthur Blvd that morning instead. But I'm still in for the AF Cycling Classic and any other planned clinics to prep for it, if possible.
Gregg
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 505
I missed the paceline clinic at Hains Pt on 17 Apr; I went out to Hains Pt that morning but the road was closed and I didn't see this group anywhere, so I turned around and joined the Revolution Cycles group ride up MacArthur Blvd that morning instead. But I'm still in for the AF Cycling Classic and any other planned clinics to prep for it, if possible.

Hi Marc,

Sorry to have missed you and anybody else who may have showed up but didn't find anybody. After waiting for a while, we proceeded with "Plan B" which involved riding to the National Arboretum for a few laps. The Hains Point and more specifically the preparation clinics for the Air Force Classic will be rescheduled very soon. Please keep your eyes on the calendar for details.

Bests,
gregg
C.J. K.
dlaxman31
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 1
Hi--
Newbie here, but a road cyclist/triathlete for the past few years.

I have an interest in joining this group ride. I hope to meet you guys in the future since I'll be moving to DC in the middle of June.

Do you have a list of typical weekly events that happen on a regular basis.

Thanks

CJ