VeloDCity: a Washington Area Bicycling Group Message Board › 2011 NYC Five Boro Tour is May 1st -- registration opens next week

2011 NYC Five Boro Tour is May 1st -- registration opens next week

Colin
ColinWDC
Rockville, MD
Post #: 35
The Five Boro Tour is a 42-mile tour (not race) through the heart of NYC. Although crowed and congested (30,000) riders, it is an event worth experiencing. It is long enough to challenge your endurance, since it's so early in the season. However, it is flat, fun, friendly, and festive. Imagine riding up the length of Manhattan on 6th Avenue in a sea of cyclist -- NO cars. The route is completely closed to motor traffic. Details at: http://www.bikenewyork.org/rides/fbbt/index.html­
FondoMotto
BikeCaseForRent
Potomac, MD
Post #: 163
Fun!
it was very festive and offers a modest workout!
early booking is the key..
its in my plans
Gregg
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 496
Hey Colin,

Thanks for the posting. I did the ride back in 2007. I had great time and I would easily recommend anybody who's thinking about participating to do so. It's an event that you do for the once or twice in lifetime experience. Just as suggestion: leave the road shoes home and use the mountain bike shoes because of the amount of walking that will be involved.

gregg
ChrisR
user 6077080
Kyiv, UA
Post #: 166
Registration is open and they are already reporting over 20,000 of the 32,000 max have registered.

twitter
Colin
ColinWDC
Rockville, MD
Post #: 36
Wow! I'm glad I registered already. I can understand its popularity; it's a good recreational ride. 42-miles seems long, but there were 4 or 5 well organized rest stops, and last year there was a festival about half-way through. The leisurely pace makes the ride more enjoyable for the not-so-serious riders. I think most folks average between 9 and 12 miles per hour. There are so many other riders, it's difficult to average much more than 15 mph. It's a fun ride, rather than a fast ride.
ChrisR
user 6077080
Kyiv, UA
Post #: 167
Regular registrations sold out on the 3rd. Looks like there is still VIP registration available if you want to shell out the big bucks. tongue
Maki
user 6188740
Washington, DC
Post #: 10
I'm surprised the regristation is already closed. This must be a popular event. I hope to participate next year.
Colin
ColinWDC
Rockville, MD
Post #: 39
Photos from this year's ride here