VeloDCity: a Washington Area Bicycling Group Message Board › Impromptu Ride: Catoctin Mountain - Sat Aug 6th

Impromptu Ride: Catoctin Mountain - Sat Aug 6th

Thomas L.
user 18540341
Chantilly, VA
Post #: 2
I'm also signed up for the Civil War Century and would like to grind that hill before I get there on the big day. Good lord it looks intense. Keep me posted.
Thomas L.
user 18540341
Chantilly, VA
Post #: 3
Gregg
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 522
Hey Matt,

Thanks again for the suggestion. This will be my only opportunity for some extended climb training so count me in. The only issue that remains for me: can I get a lift from somebody?

Bests,
gregg
Matt
mmpasta
Arlington, VA
Post #: 25
Since it looks like there's some decent interest in this ride, let's start trying to arrange some car pooling. Given the start location in Frederick I'd say tenatively a 9 am start but if it looks like it'll be a hot day maybe move up to 8:30 (TBD next week when we see the weather predictions). I can take 2 additional people in my car. I'm leaving from Old Town Alexandria. For people that are metro oriented I could pick up from the Roosevelt Island parking lot of the Mt Vernon Trail, which is close to Rosslyn Metro. Also from National Airport metro is an option as I'll be driving up the Parkway. Depending on where I pick folks up from, we'd have to meet up between 7:30-7:45am as it's about an hr drive.

Frederick Mall is located at 1301 W Patrick St. Take I270 all the way to Frederick past the I70 exit (270 turns into Rt 15) to the Patrick St exit. Go west on Patrick Street and the mall is a couple miles down on the right. Meet near the Boscov's entrance which is on the most western part of the mall near intersection of Patrick & Waverly Street.

Definitely bring 2 bottles of water as there are only a few places to refill. Primary stops will be roughly at miles 20 (convenient store), mile 35 (gas station), mile 47 (pizza restaurant) although we will regroup at top of climbs.
Gregg
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 523
The event has been officially posted on the group calendar. If you plan to participate, please go ahead and RSVP. Further information will be updated shortly.