VeloDCity: a Washington Area Bicycling Group Message Board › Reston Century this Sun.

Reston Century this Sun.

A former member
Post #: 41
My 1st official ride EVER. Getting nervous/excited. I'm registered for the 34 mi., but may do the metric depending on how I feel this week.

The web site doesn't give a lot of details about the course. For ppl that have done this ride before, what do you think about the course, event organization, overall vibe, etc.??

Also, if anyone needs a lift/wants to carpool, I can accommodate 1 or 3 (w/ bike rack). E-mail me offline.

-Barbara
Gregg
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 525
Hey Barbara,

Congratulations in advance for your inaugural cycling event. There's nothing to be nervous about but whole lot to be excited about. This is the perfect type of event to challenge yourself. Unlike regular training rides, there will be whole lot of support from the event organizers, newbie folks such as yourself and grizzled veterans such as many folks in this very group. While I can't comment on the course yet, you can look forward to the following: 1) Route signage, there will be signs every where to point you in the right direction. 2) Full Support, which includes food and hydration at rest stops. 3) Confidence through safety in numbers. For anybody who is nervous about riding alone on the open roads in traffic, take advantage of the large numbers of fellow cyclists that will be on the road with you. Finally, as a word of caution - Ride within your limits. It's very easy to feel the zeal to do everything at the start of a ride but only later to regret it. Just take it easy, enjoy yourself and save any extended goals for another day. Look forward to riding with you soon.

Bests,
gregg