align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo
Stephen_N
j_s_nightingale
Germantown, MD
Post #: 336
The Frenchtown, New Jersey Time Trial was scheduled for Sunday 11th. Since this had been canceled two weeks earlier due to the hurricane, I was keenly looking forward to it. So I got to the hotel in Bethlehem, PA only to find ... the TT was canceled again!

Fortunately the Lehigh Valley Velodrome is nearby, and they had a 'Try the Track' session on the Sunday morning so I sublimated my disappointment in riding that instead. The coaches for the session included Marty Nothstein, an Olympic sprint gold medallist, and 3 time World champion, and Gil Hatton, World Champion and Keirin pioneer.

In addition to getting used to riding around the track with 28 degree bankings at each end, we did "Island Hopping' practice. Two groups at opposite sides of the track circling at a comfortable tempo. When the whistle blows, the front rider from each group sprints around to join the back of the group half a lap ahead. As intense as you want to make it, but you do have to ride fast enough to catch the other group.

When the track has no scheduled event it is open for public use. As it is only a 3 hour drive from the DC area, I plan to start making regular Saturday trips up there. Anybody else up for it? (Fixed gear bike required). Velodrome Website

Stephen_N.
Stephen_N
j_s_nightingale
Germantown, MD
Post #: 337
Just checked with Ben at the Velodrome. He confirmed they have a track bike rental program, for $25 per day. They are nice bikes too, I rode one last weekend. Best to bring your own pedals though, to match your cleats.

Stephen.
Stephen_N
j_s_nightingale
Germantown, MD
Post #: 338
Did this at the back end of September. 3 hours drive up, 3 hours on the Velodrome, 3 hours back home. There were maybe 2 dozen people on the track all the time I was there, 3 groups including young lads in the morning, young girls in the afternoon (it is great to see 8 year olds pedalling round the banking on tiny fixed gear bikes. So confident, and quite fearless). Third group was the guys training for Masters World Championships. So they were doing motor paced sessions: they are only on the track for 4-5 minute sessions, and it is great to see them winding it up to 70 km/hour, over 40mph sprinting to the line off the last banking.

After warming-up 15 laps or so, I did a set of kilometre intervals, and them some tempo work maintaining 22-23mph around the stayers line - the blue line half way up the track.

Weather permitting I'm going back next Sunday, 16th October. Anyone up for it?