add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

VeloDCity: a Washington Area Bicycling Group Message Board › After Reston Town Center, Our Ride to Purcellville

After Reston Town Center, Our Ride to Purcellville

A former member
Post #: 5
Hello all,

After leaving Manuel, Esther, Yuki and Mia at Reston Town Center, Chris and I made our way to Purcellville. We were both suffering from tight calves, but we made it over there in good time. On our way to Ashburn, we got behind a triathlete riding a pretty cool Aegis bike. We got to Partlow's/Carolina brothers for some feeding, at which time I thanked the triathlete guy for letting me ride behind him. He was pretty good.

Once we got to Purcellville and after leaving my bike at the Trails End bike store (for a quick tune up, a nice cleaning of my Shimano gruppo, and a new SRAM chain), we had lunch at Magnolias. Lunch helped us get back to VA - without it, we would have surely pulled our calves, or even worse, bonked! This ride does NOT blast your calves, don't get me wrong and please do not be afraid! : ) I've been dealing with a weak calf for a few weeks now. In any event, during our ride back, we rode by a pretty long snake on the trail and a baby deer jumped in front of Chris!

A good ride overall, though I won't lie to you, I am a bit sore! My cyclometer reads 86 miles over all, so all in all, good training for the upcoming Reston Century ride.

A former member
Post #: 5
It was absolutely a great ride to Purcelville, but I think what hit us both the worst was the heat/humidity combo. Thankfully we made a several pit stops to refuel on some gel packs, Gatorade, lots of water, and stretch those cramping calves out.

It's definitely a hell of a workout, but I know I'll be doing it again. My suggestion would be to leave much earlier in the day for such a long ride though - that way at least part of the ride would be in a little cooler part of the day...

Thanks to Julio for sticking it out with me and not dropping me despite my repeated suggestions for him to head on back at his own pace and let me crawl in. Of course, by the time we got back I think we were both crawling. :-)

See you guys out on the trail again soon!

Chris W
user 2867907
Washington, DC
Post #: 4
Julio and Chris,

You guys are awesome! my definite heros for the week.

How am I ever going to make 90 miles? :- 0

Any tips? Maybe I should leave a couple of hours earlier than everyone. Afterall, I am an early riser.

tips, words of encouragement, anyone?

A former member
Post #: 2

For being patient with my timeline in getting there, and being soooo patient with my antique of a ride; (it is really a great bike..just you seen it at its worse..) I took it in to the doctor, and he is ready to roll!~ (i went to bethesda on sunday, and it rode like a dream into work today too!) ~

I wanted to say that i enjoyed meeting everyone, and i hope to do it again someday on my day off and make it up w/the group... ... biggrin I really enjoyed my day out!~

Thanks again!~
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 44
Mina-san, jitensha no shita kara arigatou gozaimashita.

It sounds like you guys are having a good time without me. Thanks to all for participating and special thanks to Julio for organinzing things. I look forward to seeing you all again. By the way Julio, that was a nice white outfit you wearing.