VeloDCity: a Washington Area Bicycling Group Message Board › Today's ride to Purcelville

Today's ride to Purcelville

A former member
Post #: 11
Hey folks - great ride today, but what a killer hot and muggy day for it. I think everyone did a fantastic job though. For those of you that turned around in Ashburn did you guys make it back OK? Anyone bonk?

Manuel, Julio and I pressed on and made it to the end of the trail for some relaxation, Gatorade, and gel packs. Those two decided to hit Magnolia's for some lunch, but I decided to skip the grub and turn back while I could still move. I managed to drag my poor body into my house at 3.30 after completing the ride, but I'm definitely feeling it. I'm sore, muscles are cramping, and after all the water and gel packs I think my body wants to revolt!

I think I may start cutting the rides shorter on hot days like this one. It just can't be good for my body to go through this!

Anyway, it was great meeting the folks I hadn't seen last time and look forward to riding with you all again soon!

Chris W
A former member
Post #: 18
Manuel -- I'm hoping you have made it back to civilization, and you're not living with the W&OD deer near Ashburn or Herndon. I really wanted to get home, so my bike and I pressed onwards. I hope you don't mind I didn't wait up. In any event, I felt a bonk coming, so I stopped at the 711 in Reston and fed on gatorade and my last gel pack.

Coming back, it was a tough ride. I got cooked out there! But this type of long distance riding and suffering is what makes us stronger for the Reston Century.

On another note, let me say that all you ladies rode extremely well today. Yuki was really strong today, and though Erica mentioned to me that her body wasn't really responding, I think she did great. I'm very impressed with you all, you're definitely stronger riders since we first met. Beside his jetlag from this past Wednesday (big chuckles), Gregg, you did ok too! : )

Cheers for the good company today and in previous rides; you're a good group of people and I enjoy my weekend rides with you.

Now, if you excuse me, I need to feed and recover.

Julio

p.s. - we lost Terry at the beginning of the ride, he was rushed for time and needed a faster pace to make it back on time.
Gregg
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 52
I would like to thank everybody who participated in today's ride. It was really great to participate in a group ride with everybody after a long absence and to finally meet some of you for the first time. It was also neat to run into Marta at 7-11 during our break. What was the possibility of that happening?

It was fun, hot, muggy and really, really, really hot. The Ashburn group enjoyed lunch at Panera's in the Reston Town Pavillion afterwards we pedalled our way to East Falls Church Metro station. Everybody rode well except this organizer. While I didn't bonk, I definately succumbed to dehydration, heat stroke or some bad combination of the two. Special thanks for to the group for their patience and help while I recuberated. In the end, we completed 46 miles. THAT'S 46 MILES; Aimee, Keri Ann, Yuki and Erica. I don't think any of you will have any problems tackling Reston's metric century(63 miles). So congratulations and many thanks for your help.

Gregg
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi everyone,
Yesterday was fun. After a discussion at lunch with the group, I decided to change my mountain bike tires out to road bike tires. I stopped at the bike shop on the way home and found out it is very inexpensive to do. Hopefully, I'll have the new tires on this week for the social ride on Friday. It should make a big difference and I'm looking forward to the results. I think this is one of my first steps towards become more serious in cycling.

I did not see the link for the Friday Social ride we discussed in the group. Did I miss it somewhere?

I look forward to seeing you all at he next ride.

Take care,
Erica
A former member
Post #: 1
Thanks to everyone for a great ride yesterday. Hey guys, how was Purceyville? I'm looking forward to the next ride (either Friday or Sunda). The sunburn killed me as I can stell feel my arms baking!

Thanks,

Amy
Keri A.
user 3029236
Washington, DC
Post #: 2
Yesterday was so fun - thanks for making my first ride with the group so enjoyable. Everyone was so positive. I am so impressed you guys made it to Purcelville in the heat, wow! Well - you have inspired me and I plan to join you for the Reston Century. I am on vacation next week, but would love to do a ride on Sunday, August 13 or 20th - let me know if anyone is game.
I look forward to seeing you all soon. KAH
A former member
Post #: 20
That's awesome Keri Ann!

VUELTA A PURCELLVILLE

I'm calling out for riders for an AUG-12 training ride to Purcellville. Saturday or Sunday, doesn't matter to me really. I'm looking to put some more miles in and battle hills and falls flats - no speed demon business and racing with triathletes : ) Of course anyone interested in only riding halfway are welcome, but I'm specifically looking for cyclists to join me to go all the way to the end of the W&OD.

Please POST what your day preference is, if interested.

No Drop Policy - we shall all wait for each other, as we always do. I didn't wait for Manuel yesterday, I feel bad about it, but I was dealing with bonking and possible heat stroke, so I sped to get home asap. My apologies Manuel, I hope you understand.

TAPPERING: There'll be little, if any, riding for me one week prior to the Reston Century. For those doing the Century, I suggest you manage work stress well during the week prior to the race; load up on carbs, and lay off the Conan O'Brien show and get a proper amount of sleep.

Up the irons!

Julio
Manuel
Manuel
Washington, DC
Post #: 9
Yeah, I'm back in civilization. No problem about going ahead, Julio. I needed to go at my own pace. The heat plus the fact that I did 45 miles or so on Saturday took effect. That was definitely the highest mileage weekend I've ever done. I was really slow for my last 15 miles. I ended up bailing at the East Falls Church Metro instead riding the final 8 miles back to my apartment. But I think I will be up for trying it again a couple of weekends from now. Hopefully, I'll have a more reliable rear wheel by then too.

It was really cool pacing Julio and Chris at 22-24 mph for some short stretches on the way out to Purceville, since I certainly can't maintain that pace on my own. But for now, it might work out better if I take it at my own pace. I probably was still expending energy faster than usual even with the draft advantage.

I am just curious what the cutoff time is for the Reston Century. If I start out at 6:30 and finish in 8 hours, will I beat the sag wagon? Is there a sag wagon? Gregg, anyone know?
Gregg
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 54
I am just curious what the cutoff time is for the Reston Century. If I start out at 6:30 and finish in 8 hours, will I beat the sag wagon? Is there a sag wagon? Gregg, anyone know?

Hey Manuel,

The rest stop's operating times from last year were as follows:

Rest Stop #1(Ashburn) 7:00am - 4:30pm
Rest Stop #2(Hamilton) 8:00am - 1:30pm
Rest Stop #3(Waterford) 9:00am - 3:30pm
Rest Stop #5(??) 8:00am - 2:00pm(for the 100 mile riders)
Rest Stop #4(Ashburn) 7:00am - 4:30pm

Depending on this year's route changes, there could be slight changes to locations and times. I understand that the event packets will start to mail out August 8th for anybody who already registered. According to the 2006 pamphlet, I received in the mail; there will be an "improved and more visible"SAG support which was already pretty good last year.

Gregg
A former member
Post #: 22
I think it was wise to bail out at East Falls Church metro, Manuel. What one wants to avoid is dizziness and a lowering of one's body temperature (i.e. a BONK), which is dangerous.

A couple of years ago, I bonked badly on the W&OD on my way back. It was so bad that additional feeding or resting didn't help; it was getting dark and late, so I could only push on in major pain and constant dizzy spell at 12mph! I made it home around 7pm. That incident was my dark night of the soul, to be sure, and I never, ever, want to go through that again. It's best for each of us to listen to our bodies and take our time when riding, especially when riding in extreme hot weather.

But wasn't it fun when we were flying with Chris and alternating leads? We definitely have to do that again. If we find a triathlete or roadster, we should get behind him/her and work it.

Hoping you, Gregg, and others can join me to go to Purcellville on AUG-12 or -13.

Julio