VeloDCity: a Washington Area Bicycling Group Message Board › Impromptu Rides: Catoctin Mountains - May 13th, TBD -Memorial Day weekend,

Impromptu Rides: Catoctin Mountains - May 13th, TBD -Memorial Day weekend, June 3rd

Matt
mmpasta
Arlington, VA
Post #: 29
Back by popular demand, I'll be riding the Northern course of the Cotoctin Mts out of Frederick these 3 dates/weekends in preparation for my trip in June. I may mix up the course a bit each time but typically around 60 miles, 4 or so challenging climbs and give or take 6000 ft of climbing. For those that just did the southern course it's probably about the same degree of challenge. Planning on the rides to start from the Boscovs at Frederick Mall.

May 13th - definite date as I'll already be up that way. For those that don't have Mother's Day engagements or aren't going to do the way too easy, not all that exciting 24 mile Bike DC event.

Memorial Day weekend - TBD day depending on potential interest. If interested let me know what day is better and we might even convince Gregg to make this an official ride. Who needs to fight traffic to the beach when mountains await

June 3rd - since there is the Davidsonville ride on Saturday the 2nd, I figure for those that want a little more riding after the flats/rolling terrain of Davidsonville the legs might like some climbs.
A former member
Post #: 1
Matt, I like your suggestions on length and amount of climbing. I'm definitely interested in the Memorial Day weekend and June 3rd dates. I need to see how Mother's Day plans come together; I don't want to be sleeping with one eye open and in another room! :) For Memorial Day, maybe plan to ride on the 26th and if the weather is bad, fall back on either the 27th or 28th.
FondoMotto
BikeCaseForRent
Potomac, MD
Post #: 202
Hey Matt... Im looking forward for another training climb prior to a May 20th event. hope you can slip one in prior to that date
Charles V.
CanuckChuck
Stevensville, MD
Post #: 3
I need to do some climbing both May 13th and Memorial Day weekend (as part of my unscientific training plan for the Savage Century). Mother's day plan are TBD, but would like to climb if possible.
Matt
mmpasta
Arlington, VA
Post #: 33
In light of some scheduling conflicts, and just way too many people doing Bike DC on the 13th, I'm going to move up the 1st Catoctin ride by a week to May 6th. I was thinking about starting off with the traditional Metic Century (i.e the one we did last year), which is around 6,000 ft of climbing. Although I did create a new metric that has around 7,500 ft of climbing including our own little Mortirolo (think mid to high teens grade for 1+ mile). By comparison Highland School is around 1,000 SF of elevation in 3 miles, this new climb is around 1,200 ft in 2 miles (and that's with a flat section in the middle).
A former member
Post #: 2
May 6 works for me!
Charles V.
CanuckChuck
Stevensville, MD
Post #: 5
Bummer. May 6th is the day after the 6 Pillar. I'm out for the climbing ride.
Stephen_N
j_s_nightingale
Germantown, MD
Post #: 350
May 5 is the C-130 Deep Blue Time Trial, starting down the ramp of a C-130 cargo plane at Dover AFB.
Don't think I'll be climbing the day after that.

George
user 10910266
Rockville, MD
Post #: 12
In light of some scheduling conflicts, and just way too many people doing Bike DC on the 13th, I'm going to move up the 1st Catoctin ride by a week to May 6th. I was thinking about starting off with the traditional Metic Century (i.e the one we did last year), which is around 6,000 ft of climbing. Although I did create a new metric that has around 7,500 ft of climbing including our own little Mortirolo (think mid to high teens grade for 1+ mile). By comparison Highland School is around 1,000 SF of elevation in 3 miles, this new climb is around 1,200 ft in 2 miles (and that's with a flat section in the middle).

7,500 ft ahhhh.....????
I'm not 100% ready yet - still trying to lose 6 kg to get in shape, but I think I can complete this ride smile
After all these are the only real mountains in the area.
FondoMotto
BikeCaseForRent
Potomac, MD
Post #: 205
I love to do another Catoctin climb.. but love to see more average Joes and Jills chime in... if not!
I will just have to see other mountain tops I more familiar with