VeloDCity: a Washington Area Bicycling Group Message Board › Has Anyone have Experiences Renting Road Bike for Far Away Events

Has Anyone have Experiences Renting Road Bike for Far Away Events

Potomac, MD
Post #: 207
Does anyone have experience and recommendation for renting good quality Road Bike in the Malibu, Los Angeles or San Francisco Bay Area.
Will they swap out seats, pedals and cassettes for you ?
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 549
I have no personal experience renting a bike but a quick google search revealed the following options for bike rentals in California. Interestingly, there is a Bike and Roll location right here in Washington DC. Located on the west side of Union Station. I'm fairly certain that you could bring your own saddle and pedals however the cassette would be dependent on the rear derailleur setup on the frame in question. Contact them and please let us know what you learn.

Wine Country Bikes

Bike and Roll SF

Blazing Saddles, SF, NYC, Monteray

Potomac, MD
Post #: 208
Thanks Gregg.. for some reason my google search isn't as finess as yours and didnt produce quality results. But definitely had some hits with yours!

My quick report, I found the average daily rental for a Road is about $65, wkly is mid $300s.
... far much better deal than shipping I think.

From my bike shipping (DCA-MIA) experience, the best rate I found was from High Country Shipping at $75 ea. ways which included a $1000 insurance coverage. But no matter how well you pack it, the bike will never will be the same IMO under the brutal handling that will occur. So never again!!
.. but HCS did took care of me ;-)

With Greggs Quality Search results:

Wine Country has some year old Madones, but the distance is too far North of SF..
...but anyone doing the Levi's Santa Rosa Ride can use them in the Fall.

Bike and Roll had some Great 2.1($45) and 5.5($68)Treks

but Blazing Saddles beat their price. No pre-pay is require just a CC to hold the bike.
For about the same price of shipping bike its worth it, plus the bike is fairly new and I dont have to sacrifice my bike to those TSA handlers.

But still feel like there is nothing better between your buns than your own bike, well my THULE Bike Case (TSA and UPS Approve) is for rent to VeloDCity Members btw ;-)

and hindsight maybe we can learn from our resident travel Pro Matt on how to pack a bike and you'll never be sorry seminar ;-)

Thanks again Gregg!!
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 550
Hey Al,

Which airlines are you flying? Some airlines are better than others when it comes to the subject bike equipment fees. Off the top of my head, Southwest Airlines and Frontier Airlines have always had a friendlier bike policy. Since you mentioned California destinations, I would seriously look into flying Frontier Airlines. Their policy can be found at the link below.