addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

VeloDCity: a Washington Area Bicycling Group Message Board › Gettysburg ride???

Gettysburg ride???

Matt
mmpasta
Arlington, VA
Post #: 35
Would there be any larger group interest in riding the Gettyburg Battlefield and beyond? While its a longer drive to get out there, about an 1hr 15 min from Shady Grove Metro, biking the battefield is a nice way to see it (much better then a car). The ride around the battefield (at least the way I do it) is around 24 miles, starting and stopping from the visitor's center. Mostly rolling terrain with two short climbs. Knowing 24 miles is a short distance for a longer drive to the start I can come up with a handful of extention routes to make it a ride of around 55 miles with sticking to the mainly rolling terrain.

I was thinking perhaps doing the battlefield portion at a slower pace allowing for folks to stop at the various sites, learn a little bit about the battlefield, take pictures, etc. Then maybe have a brunch/lunch somewhere in town and then head out for the outskirts of town to do the 2nd portion of the ride.

Not sure what dates work the best, but perhaps sometime in July as my June weekends are pretty full.
Gabriel R.
user 41934022
Washington, DC
Post #: 1
Hi Matt,

I would be interested in biking Gettysburg. Like you, I am not sure what works best yet as my plans for July are subject to change at this point. But, when I know more, I can get back to you.

-Gabe
Jerry O
user 39535742
Washington, DC
Post #: 1
Hi Matt,

Sounds like fun, my girlfriend and I want to visit the battlefield in July so this might work out well. If the date doesn't conflict we'll go.

Thanks,
Jerry
Gregg
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 552
Would there be any larger group interest in riding the Gettyburg Battlefield and beyond? While its a longer drive to get out there, about an 1hr 15 min from Shady Grove Metro, biking the battefield is a nice way to see it (much better then a car). The ride around the battefield (at least the way I do it) is around 24 miles, starting and stopping from the visitor's center. Mostly rolling terrain with two short climbs. Knowing 24 miles is a short distance for a longer drive to the start I can come up with a handful of extention routes to make it a ride of around 55 miles with sticking to the mainly rolling terrain.

I was thinking perhaps doing the battlefield portion at a slower pace allowing for folks to stop at the various sites, learn a little bit about the battlefield, take pictures, etc. Then maybe have a brunch/lunch somewhere in town and then head out for the outskirts of town to do the 2nd portion of the ride.

Not sure what dates work the best, but perhaps sometime in July as my June weekends are pretty full.

Sounds like a good ideal and I would be very interested participating too. Is there a decent a eating establishment that we could have a post ride meal at?
Matt
mmpasta
Arlington, VA
Post #: 36
There's a handful of restaurants in town. I'll likely be up that way this weekend so I'll do some research.
joe
user 5670247
Reston, VA
Post #: 55
Sounds like a great idea. I haven't been to Gettysburg since I was a little kid. Have heard the biking around there is really nice.

I think I might prefer to do the harder/faster parts of the ride first and then do the casual touring part for the second act of the day.
Al S.
BikeCaseForRent
Potomac, MD
Post #: 209
Sounds like a good Ride.. July looks pretty open for me
and makes a good training for Philadelphia GF ;-)
Stephen_N
j_s_nightingale
Germantown, MD
Post #: 351
How about a Thurmont start, and take in the Civil War Century 50 mile route, which goes up to Emmitsburg, Fairfield, Gettysburg Battlefield, then back down through Barlow towards Thurmont again. Hilly, but leaves out all the brutal climbs?

Unless you want to do Route 77 up through the park, then over Raven Rock, and conitunue on towards Fairfield.

Places to eat in Thurmont.

Stephen.
Charles V.
CanuckChuck
Stevensville, MD
Post #: 6
I'd be interested. July is pretty open for me as well.
Matt
mmpasta
Arlington, VA
Post #: 37
Once I pin down my schedule and depending on interest (i.e. please keep weighing in) I might set this ride up as an "official" ride, now that I can do that. I'll think a bit more about whether to do the outer Gettyburg portion 1st or 2nd (the "battlefield ride" being the other portion). The battlefield ride will definitely be a leisurely pace to actually visit some of the primary sites of the battlefield. Stop, take pictures, learn a bit about the actual battle. A little education on history never hurt anyone. I'd really like to start/end this at the Visitor Center as there is a lot to do around the area and I want to give folks the opportunity to potentially do more then just a ride. A lunch is easily, and will definitely, be part of the ride.