addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

VeloDCity: a Washington Area Bicycling Group Message Board › Civil War Century - tomorrow

Civil War Century - tomorrow

Stephen_N
j_s_nightingale
Rockville, MD

Details of the event are in the email you received from the Baltimore Bike Club. Additional notes for VeloDCity members here:

(1) The weather for tomorrow offers possible thunderstorms in the afternoon. So if you're going for the full Century, consider an early start, and consider the bailout option at Mile 66ish, from Sabillasville down Route 550 and into Thurmont, that still gives you a 73ish mile ride in total, with all the big hills in it.

(2) I am aiming to get there by 6:40ish and start at 7:00am. I'll be wearing the red VeloDCity jersey, so see you at the start, or on the road, or at the finish.

(3) A general meeting point at the start would be by the warehouse building opposite the registration area, that is directly across Frederick Road/Hwy 806 from Community Park Road. But unless you have specific arrangements with specific people, you can't guarantee anybody there in your time window.

(4) The Tough Mudder event at Crumland Farms is a 12 mile assault course style event, with about 20,000 participants starting in waves from 8am all through the weekend. It's all off-road, and won't impact participants on the CWC course. Traffic on Route 15 just North of Frederick may be busier, but spread through the weekend. Details of the event are here: http://toughmudder.co...­ Now you know everything that I know about it.

7am CWC starters will most likely not be affected. Late starters might see and/or be delayed by a stream of left-turners on Route 15.  Going home after the event you might run into a thicket of beefy SUVers with their after-mudder glow. Plan an alternative route home than Route 15. Or at least watch out for short-tempered loonies on that stretch of road.

Hope you have a good ride, and possibly see some of you out there.

Stephen_N.

Stephen_N
j_s_nightingale
Rockville, MD
Post #: 354
Well that's done.

Anybody get whirled up in the Smithsburg tornado?

Stephen.
A former member
Post #: 27
Thanks for the info- we found it very useful.

It's possible we got a little wet....

Frederick to review law after ‘Tough Mudder’ boondoggle
http://www.washington...­
Stephen_N
j_s_nightingale
Rockville, MD
Post #: 355

Frederick to review law after ‘Tough Mudder’ boondoggle
http://www.washington...­

More 'debacle' than 'boondoggle' I'd say. The people who go to these things are supposed to be about handling tough, muddy challenges, no? And they can't handle a muddy parking ground and planning alternate routes to get there? (Though frankly what I was expecting to hear was that emergency services couldn't get in to help all the physically unprepared mudders having heart stoppages, seizures and panic attacks trying to crawl out of the primordial ooze).

I came back from CWC on Woodsboro Pike, Rte 550 and there was no significant traffic there.

Stephen.