addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

VeloDCity: a Washington Area Bicycling Group Message Board › Tour of Richmond Recap and Support

Tour of Richmond Recap and Support

A former member
Post #: 45
Saturday Oct 6th I participated in the inaugural Tour of Richmond Gran Fondo 102-mile bike ride. This was my official third century this year. SportsBackers just posted an article "Behind the (Medical) Scenes at the Tour of Richmond" that shows the immense amount of preparation for this timed race.

http://www.sportsback...­

The amount of law enforcement support over the course of 102 miles was absolutely phenomenal!!! Every single intersection was covered and I only had to unclip once for cars at one intersection and that police officer apologized profusely for it.

As an added bonus, the weather couldn't be more perfect! Only one hill caught me by surprise. The entire route was relatively flat with some good hills sprinkled in here and there for some fun rollers.

There were 841 finishers for the 102, 59, and 29 mile options. 400 people did the 102 mile option and of that number were 56 females. I am happy to report that I finished #26 from that group of females at a total time of 7:34:18 with breaks and 6:31 on the seat.

My time wasn't nearly as impressive as the top finishers of the race. The top male finished with a total time of 4:27:50 and the top female finished with a total time of 4:50:29.

Hats off to the lead groups!!!

When the race was finished, I have to admit that getting that 102 MILE RIDE medal around my neck was a really great feeling!

I am definitely looking forward to participating in this event again next year October 5, 2013 and seeing my total time of 7:34:18 get a bit closer to that top female's time of 4:50:29.

Who else wants to join me for the challenge next year??? You will not be disappointed by this event!