VeloDCity: a Washington Area Bicycling Group Message Board › Shenandoah/Skyline weekend in September

Shenandoah/Skyline weekend in September

Matt
mmpasta
Arlington, VA
Post #: 50
I'm thinking about creating a bike weekend in the lower (Northern) Shenandoah Valley/Skyline area in mid September and trying to gauge interest. Thought would be on one day we would ride up (south) the on side of the valley from Strasburg area, climb over the mountain and then ride along the other side of the valley back to Strasburg. Day 2 would be out of Front Royal where we would climb along Skyline drive and also ride along the valley. We could either hit Skyline Drive right out of the start so all the climbing at the beginning and than roll along the valley back to the start, or we could do the valley first and then climb along Skyline Drive the 2nd half of the ride.

Since it's one of my rides it of course it has climbing involved. Trying to make the rides between 60-70 miles each. Shenandoah Valley ride would likely have around 4-5,000 ft of climbing, Skyline Drive more like 7,000 ft.
I would set it up so people could just come out for either day or both. If enough interest from folks for back to back days I could look into hotels in that area and we could make it a fun veloDCity overnight trip.

I think Sept would be best because it hopefully will begin to be a little cooler temperature and hopefully Skyline wouldn't be as busy as it would be in October when the leaves start changing.

ChrisR
user 6077080
Arlington, VA
Post #: 291
Civil War Century is September 7, WABA 50 States is September 21, PPTC Backroads Century is September 22, weekends of September 15/16 and 28/29 are open.
FondoMotto
BikeCaseForRent
Potomac, MD
Post #: 227
Im doing BBC and hopefully CWC so the later date CrisR suggested may work for me. There's has also been talks with fellow Velos here of a late year Skyline, and some doing it on the way to Blue Ridge and back to Skyline on a return trip back..
Matt.. maybe a plan to start together from Royal would be ideal.. and we can see the massive start to welcome the Fall Colors
Matt B.
MattBDC
Washington, DC
Post #: 5
Civil War Century is September 7, WABA 50 States is September 15, PPTC Backroads Century is September 22, weekend of September 28/29 is open.
I am guessing the Montgomery Farm Tour (Ag Preserve) is either September 21/22 or first weekend in October. Moving into October...., Sea Gull century and Shenandoah Fall Foliage....
Haider H.
user 76483052
Washington, DC
Post #: 9
The first 50 miles are rough, but not deadly climbs. Rest stops are available at two stations roughly 20 miles apart. My suggestion would be parking in front of the entrance. Many cyclists do this making for no last heavy slogs up the mountain once the loop is finished. By riding a loop from the north entrance around the Shenandoah valley and back to the cars we can make a good century. The route posted below ends in some nice rollers. If we don't stop for too long this century can be done in a single day with stops occuring every 20 miles or so. http://connect.garmin...­
Total run 114 miles... 8650 ft. elevation gain. At 14 mph course is predicted done in roughly 9 hrs with rest stops.
LDMay
LDMay
Washington, DC
Post #: 1
Whatever we do, I second the no-heavy-slogs at the end.
FondoMotto
BikeCaseForRent
Potomac, MD
Post #: 229
Big Meadows Camp grounds and Lodging is the mid point of the Skyline Drive at the 5Oth mile marker.. I have their direct no. that bypasses the Shenandoah website which uses third party reservation system, which charges additional reservation fees. If anyone is interested
FYI
Ted "Uphill" D.
user 38317332
Washington, DC
Post #: 15
I'm in for whatever. See you in September.
Joanne N.
newchurch
Washington, DC
I'm interested. Glad to help with planning, if needed.
Michael G.
user 84841252
Sterling, VA
Fabulous. I'd be interested in making a weekend out of it. Totally in for both days.