VeloDCity: a Washington Area Bicycling Group Message Board › Impromptu ride: 3 covered bridges

Impromptu ride: 3 covered bridges

Paula
user 58408242
Washington, DC
Post #: 1
Greetings All,

If you're not doing anything tomorrow morning.Saturday, June 29, 2013, 8 a.m. pls join us for the scenic covered bridge ride, leaving out of Frederick Towne Mall (Boscov parking area), Frederick MD

Join us for a 45-mile version of the "covered bridge ride". Rolling countryside with historic bridges in Thurmont, MD vicinity-- this is the scenery tour!

Est Distance: 45 Miles.
Terrain: Rolling to Hilly
Pace: Med (15-17 mpg)
We are meeting at 8 am in Frederick Towne Mall, Boscov's parking lot on route 40 (same time/place as Catoctin Challenge). Come enjoy a rolling morning ride past farms, country roads, and covered bridges.

Helmets required
ID, spare tubes, pump, water bottles, clip-ins/cage pedals highly recommended
Will cancel/postpone in case of rain

If you're interested please respond to this message or send me an email.

Best
Paula
Josh R.
user 14547828
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 1
I just looked at the route for today's Catoctin ride and on the way out at the beginning they end up on Yellow Springs Rd up past Bethel where we came back, but before that they take some other roads so they aren't on the busy part. For future versions of this ride we could follow the Catoctin route in reverse as we come back at the end.

I took our route from my computer and changed the end so you can see a map of this: http://ridewithgps.co...­ (the cuesheet display only shows the portions I edited and I didn't bother to figure out how to fix it, but the map is correct).
Paula
user 58408242
Washington, DC
Post #: 2
Josh-- this looks great. Thanks for the mod -- a lot better than bumping along Rosemont near the end...

Thanks to you, Mark, Tonya and Greg for a great scenic discovery ride. Covered bridges pretty as ever. The Putnam Hill was a nice alternative to 2 more Rte 15 crossings (was it really less than 10%?! guess I was lulled by gentle rollers up til then). Glad we stopped in at the coffee shop - Thurmont stop much better than 7-11. Will also keep my eye on the little spot on E Main advertising Hershey's.

Looking forward to doing this one again!

best,
Paula