Verge Message Board › 3 things you can do TODAY to build support for your business

3 things you can do TODAY to build support for your business

Matt H.
hunckler
Group Organizer
Indianapolis, IN
Good morning,

When I started my first real business, I had no idea what it would look like when that business was “done.”

I had just completed my first year at IU in Bloomington and made the goal to have a cash-flow-positive business by the time school started up again in the fall. But, I didn’t know what I didn’t know.

The only way I made it through that summer (and to my goal) was through the support and mentorship of others. That’s why I’m so passionate about helping startups get off the ground and get the tools they need to grow.

Here are 3 simple ways to build support for your business:

1. Search

The most important key to building support is counterintuitive. As a growing company, you have so many needs and probably have multiple areas where you could use more resources. But they key to finding those lifelines is to narrow your search.

So instead of telling people you’re hunting for capital, talent, customers, and technology all at once; get real. What’s the most important thing that will really move the needle for your business?

There’s your ask. There’s your search. Do that one first.

If you’re looking for startup resources, take a look at the Innovation Showcase that we’re hosting (yet again) with The Venture Club. We’re giving away over $60,000 in cash and awards, but applications end soon. So, get your application in today!

2. Participate

In the world of business, givers gain. I’ve found that if I just focus on how I can add value, the rest works itself out.

In other words, when you consistently seek to help others (without expectation of anything in return), the right help will always seem to find you. And here’s a secret…

One of the fastest ways to add value is to participate in business events like startup launches, pitch competitions, and conferences. So, why wait?

There’s a INCREDIBLE Verge event tomorrow in Bloomington. It’s free. And it will be even more awesome if you join with the intent to add value. Do it.

3. Ask

This one is sounds simple, but sometimes we let our egos get in the way. If you can boil all your needs down to the most important, specific “ask,” people will want to help.

Even if someone can’t help you there, on the spot, they may remember later when opportunity comes knocking. It all depends on how clear and concise you are with your ask.

So, how can Verge help you?

I’m taking up to 5 hours this Saturday with a few of our Verge organizers to respond to emails and connect our members with any resources or support that we can.

Let us know how we might help by simply responding to this email.

Happy Hump Day,

Matt