The MD/DC Volleyball Meetup Group Message Board › Olney Sand Volley Ball

Olney Sand Volley Ball

Isaar
user 10898625
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 2
There seem to be two nice outdoor SAND volleyball courts at Brook Manor Park in Olney by the Swim center. Is anyone interested in starting something up there?
A former member
Hey -

I'd be interested in playing at Olney. I was there about two Wednesdays ago for some pickup. The courts aren't bad (sand is a bit shallow), but it sounds like they get pretty busy in the evenings (around 8 p.m.) so it'd probably be best to get there a bit earlier (around 6:30 or so). What day(s) did you have in mind?

Lorna

There seem to be two nice outdoor SAND volleyball courts at Brook Manor Park in Olney by the Swim center. Is anyone interested in starting something up there?

Jordan
user 12407155
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 1
I play there regularly. It is pretty nice court with lights till 11pm and all. But level of players and crowds really varies day to day. I would love to play some 2 on 2 or up to 4 on 4 with people who knows basics on v-ball. Would be nice to have about 6-8 regular players...I know a few might join if we get meet up going regularly. Wed and Fri are great for me.
LL
user 16139441
Washington, DC
Post #: 1
Hey -

I'd be interested in playing at Olney. I was there about two Wednesdays ago for some pickup. The courts aren't bad (sand is a bit shallow), but it sounds like they get pretty busy in the evenings (around 8 p.m.) so it'd probably be best to get there a bit earlier (around 6:30 or so). What day(s) did you have in mind?

Lorna

If someone puts something together for this, I am very interested in joining! It has been so hard for me to find any sort of vball gathering in the area.
Dave W
user 23015791
Olney, MD
Hi Lorna,

Met you there 2 Wednesdays ago. I actually went last week on Wednesday and it wasn't too crowded. I showed up at 6:15. No one really showed until around 7 or so. That seems to be the magic hour. Played 5's for about an hour. Then people started to show up. We had one court of 4's or 5's rotating 3-4 teams. It was decent. Was there until around 9:30 with people still staying to play.

The other court had a ton of kids on it just messing around with 10-12 on a side... they were having a ton of fun though! But a little unorganized.

I'm still planning on going on Wednesdays until the weather gets really cold.

See you out there!
Dave
Dave W
user 23015791
Olney, MD
Post #: 3
Hey Jordan,

I've played with you the last 2 Wednesdays as well. Keep going on Wednesdays and try to get there earlier! We could get a good group together for some strong play.

Might have to be Tues or Thurs of next week... Looks like rain until Monday and then more rain on Wednesday.

Dave
Steverino
user 3938290
Group Organizer
Kensington, MD
Post #: 115
Fellow VB fans,

Olney Manor sand courts have been in place for years now.....

There is a resident population that plays there somewhat regularly. If you all wish to do a regular thing at Olney Manor, I am willing to set up a regular listing. The lights stay on until 11 PM but realize that both inclement weather and earlier darkness will have some impacts because temps will start dropping soon. Clearly, this week has been a washout.

That said, be aware that Longwood Community Center has Wednesday night VB year round from 6-9 PM. Longwood is about 2-3 miles north of Olney Manor Regional Park. Longwood runs year round so please keep that in mind. I hope to meet and play with you all.

There are TWO more sand courts that sit unused behind Ross Boddy CC in Olney. Check it out, if you are interested....

Fridays would be better for me but only because I am playing in a Wednesday night league AND refereeing...
Jordan
user 12407155
Silver Spring, MD
Steverino,

Yes! it will be great to set up a regular meet up in Olney Manor. I like Friday Idea, but we can also "vote" to see which day/days will work out for other people. This court has a lot of potential to have successful meet up site. For now I will try to show up as much as I can between 7pm-9pm.
Jordan
user 12407155
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 3
Dave,

Urg....I hate rain!

Yes I will try to show up as much I can.
Dave W
user 23015791
Olney, MD
Post #: 4
Anyone interested in playing at Olney Manor tomorrow night (Tuesday, 9/13) starting around 6:30 pm? Forecast is for rain Wed through Friday. Looking to get 2's 3's or 4's out there. Reply here since we don't have an official Meetup scheduled, yet.

Dave