The Chicago Beach Volleyball Meetup Group Message Board › DESCRIPTION OF VOLLEYBALL SKILL LEVELS

DESCRIPTION OF VOLLEYBALL SKILL LEVELS

Kasey
Kalrose
Evanston, IL
Post #: 71
This group is for players with skill levels of CC, B, and BB. This is not a recreational volleyball group.

Please carefully review the skill levels before RSVPing for a meetup. If you do not know what your skill level is, ask!

VOLLYEBALL SKILL LEVELS

OPEN: Professional and top flight Division I players that can do everything with power, speed, touch and control

AA: Highly skilled players, mostly Division I players that are able to do everything Open players do, but are not quite as quick, big or powerful

A: Still highly skilled, are masters of all the skills but may not be as big or quick as higher level players or are moderating with age.

CONSISTENCY is key in players with skills at A and above.

BB: Players here can execute all the skills and techniques. Able to serve with power, control, and placement at a percentage approaching 100%. Are able to pass and set to a target at a rate of over 90%, hit 1’s and other attacks with the ability to alter direction, depth and speed, as well as be able to execute double blocks, crosses and slides with ease. Jump serves are common and executed successfully at a very high percentage. Exclusively run a 6-2 / 5-1 scheme. (Lots of powerful hitters here. You should always know where you should be on the court. Consistency in your skill is key.)

B: Players at this level and above are competitive and play year round. Play is skilled, but needs to improve in consistency. Almost exclusively play within a 6-2 / 5-1 scheme. Each player can pass, set, and attack, but there are some issues with control and speed. Players pass and set to a target at a rate of over 85%. They serve with power and accuracy (but not yet for aces or return errors). Most attacks are hit downward with power – landing generally in the back third of the court. Periodically, roll shots and dinks are also seen. Single blocks are attempted on almost every attack, and occasionally double blocks are executed successfully. Everybody here knows the game well, sees the whole court in order to execute plays.

CC: Players here know the basics and are learning / practicing advanced techniques and court positioning. With each possession there is an attempt to pass, set and attack (spike) the ball. Passes and sets are made to a target at a rate of over 65%. Players usually overhand serve with some control, and while typically getting the ball in play (over 80%), still make errors when attempting to do so with power. Attacks are more controlled but frequently are still weak (more like roll shots than hits down), and while designated setters are now being used, they almost exclusively come from the front line. Play is more consistent but frequently there are breakdowns in terms of power and control. Players are more competitive here but generally have not played for a long time and have a tendency to overestimate their skill levels and strengths*.

C:
These are recreational players who usually have limited experience or training and/or are just learning to pass, set and hit. All games are in a social, fun atmosphere. Passing, handling and setting calls are not very strict. Most serves are underhanded, soft and hit with limited control. On occasion there are attacks (spike attempts) and typically the ball is softly hit without control, hit into the net or if hit hard, hit out of bounds. Can pass or set to a target about 40% of the time. Most frequently the third contact (hit) is a hand set or bump (forearm) pass. Most people at this level are playing strictly for the social experience without thoughts of competitive play – they’re here to laugh, slap and drink.

* A quote taken directly from the Huntsville website.
Omar W.
user 75072752
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1
Happy New Year All,
I'm looking for a female setter and a Outside Guy Hitter for my Co-ed team "Hot Setters". Our Friday League starts up Friday 01/24 and plays on the Southside @ Rainbow Beach Park: 3311 E 77th st (77th & Lake Front). I'm also looking for those interested in playing Flag Football. Spring Season starts April 2014. If interested please email me @ Rebelzzsportzz7@gmail.com or inbox me.
Joon
user 12081897
Elk Grove Village, IL
Post #: 1
No offense, but I think you are rating CC's a bit HIGH. Most CC players do NOT pass at a rate of over 65%. In fact, there's no such thing as a "CC" player. Any player lower than a B is considered a rec player.

There's also a huge difference between a B and BB player. Most B players are those that might be able to pass at 80%, but might not be able to set. Not everyone's a setter. Serves aren't always on target. There's not enough control in a B player, which is why MOST volleyball players (I've seen in this group) are at best, B level players.

BB players cover defensively and know where to be all the time. They also know how to block at the net and, in turn, cover blocks. BB players should also know all of the USA Volleyball rules.