- This is a SOCIAL VOLLEYBALL GROUP. We play primarily to have fun, be outside, get some exercise, and meet new people.
- Players of various skill levels (primarily none/basic to intermediate - or C/B/BB - and in some rare cases above) will play on a court TOGETHER (as a norm, play consists of 6v6 but depends on how many people show up)
- If you are a player with a higher skill level (B/BB, etc.) and are looking for consistent, more competitive games, please visit THIS PAGE or contact Devon for information on leagues, tournaments, etc. in the area. DO NOT EXPECT TO COME TO THE MEETUP AND PLAY AT ANY SPECIFIC LEVEL (though having fun is a good expectation!)
- If you RSVP please make sure that you come or that you cancel at least 24 hours in advance so that someone else can take that time slot.
WHERE: We play at Cedar Lane Park on the sand courts by the pavilion. The address is: 5081 Cedar Lane, Columbia, MD 21044. If there is an event at the pavilion and the courts are unavailable, we play at Centennial Park, Court "G" (address: 10000 Maryland 108, Ellicott City, MD).
INCLEMENT WEATHER: If it rains or the weather is bad please check the Meetup page for that day - someone will usually post if cancelled.
Frequently Asked Questions
I've never played volleyball before/haven't played organized volleyball. Will anyone teach me/help me?
- No training is available/there are no instructors for those with no/limited skills - but other members tend to be helpful and offer tips on how to play. If there's enough interest "newbie" Meetups may be considered (contact an organizer if interested).
How many players can play at the same time?
- With 2 courts, the max number of players able to play simultaneously are 24 (6v6). When more than 24 are present, we rotate additional players in on the service and the front hitting line (for an additional 2 players per side). In cases when there are greater than 32 players, teams of 6 may be formed and play will consist of either "king of the court" (winning team stays on until they lose) or "2 games on, 1 game off" (every team will play 2 games in a row, and then sit for at least 1 game).