Part of the mission at the Ronald McDonald House is to provide a "home-away-from-home" for families of seriously ill children receiving treatment at St. Louis area hospitals. An important part of this mission is to provide the families with every convenience they can. Since many have limited transportation and knowledge of the area Ronald McDonald House relies on volunteers to prepare meals for the families.
Most of the families spend their time at the hospital with their children. Though all of the families are not always available to be at the house when meals are served, it is a welcome gift to return to the house and find a meal waiting for them. We can help reduce some of the incredible stress experienced by the families with something as fundamental as a home cooked meal!
Click here for more volunteer opps and other info about Ronald McDonald House
We will be cooking a meal to serve approximately 25-30 people. We will prepare and then serve the meal buffet style.
Normally, most of the families will be at the hospital, they may not be present for the serving of the meal. So, normally, most of what we make we will wrap up for them to enjoy when they return from the hospital.
IMPORTANT DETAILS TO KEEP IN MIND:
Vince and Cindy have graciously offered to help coordinate our cooking events with RMH, so...
- Them or myself will be posting our menu, ingredients, and recipes on the message board.
- Participants will then sign up to shop for and bring one or more ingredients on the list using the "reply" function of the message thread.
- If you want to be a rock star and contribute something creative that's not on the menu, that's very cool and welcomed, but kindly bear in mind that we do need to fulfill the menu ingredients, first.
- As you can see, if participants post that they're bringing an ingredient and, for whatever reason, don't show, we have to delay the dinner to make a Schnucks run.
- All the RMH Dinner's are our most popular events of the month, and we limit the RSVPs to 10 (kitchen size / #cooks / #of ingredients). All RMH Dinners are posted no earlier than fifteen days prior to event time (whenever I get around to it on that day - check often). This tactic is designed to give everyone the same chance to participate. And, hopefully, everyone will be able to make a high-confidence commitment within 15 days of the dinner date. If its filled by the time you see the event, put yourself on the automatic waiting list, anyway. There are often a few drop-offs. Menu's will be posted no later than a week before.
THIS IS AN OVER-EIGHT KID-FRIENDLY EVENT!!!
Please RSVP kids 15 and over as "guests" on the event, please. All others need not be rsvp'd.
Ronald Mcdonald Houses are immune-suppressed environments. It is vitally important that you excuse yourself from participating if you are feeling the least bit ill.
If you post that you're contributing an ingredient, and, for whatever reason, can't show, please call or text Vince at least an hour before the posted event start time, so someone can make a stop at Schnucks on the way.
- RSVP, here, even if all the slots are filled.
- If you get one of the ten spots, come back to the event posting about a week prior and look for Vince's menu posting link, below. You can also manually look for the file in the Message Board section.
- Go to the Menu discussion and, check the ingredients list. Look for ingredients that do not have somenone's name by them and check the discussion below the menu to make sure someone hasn't spoken for the ingredient, but we haven't put their name by the ingredient yet. In the "reply" section, tell us which ingredients you are bringing (that no one else has already signed up for). We will put your name by that ingredient on the list at the top of the page.
- Parking is gated. The gate code will be posted with the menu. Otherwise, parking on Park Avenue is reasonably safe. Enter at the front entrance, ring doorbell.
- Do Good. You will have fun. You will be helping families that really, really need it. That's it. See you there.
NOTE: Anyone can propose a volunteer opportunity or even organize a volunteer opportunity. I'm always open to suggestions. Email me with the volunteer opportunities in your area, too. -Ed