Single Volunteers of NE Ohio Message Board › Thanks for offering to help at the Laura's Home Barbecue on Saturday, May 25th

Thanks for offering to help at the Laura's Home Barbecue on Saturday, May 25th

Pat P.
user 7736493
Strongsville, OH
My thanks top everyone for offering to help out at the barbecue at Laura’s Home this coming Saturday, May 25th. Let’s plan to try to get there by 3:30 to start the kids activities and we’ll shoot to start serving at 5:00. I imagine that we should be able to wrap up by 6:30 or 7:00

Laura’s Home is at 18120 Puritas Ave in Cleveland. This is about a half block west of Rocky River drive,a mile south of Lorain and a mile or so north of Brookpark rd. If you’re coming on 480, get off on Grayton Rd. A quarter mile north of the exit on Grayton is Puritas and Laura’s Home is only a quarter mile east of there.

First off, please keep in mind that this barbecue is for the women and children of Laura’s Home. If we have enough time and food, our group grab a bite to eat here, but I would much rather plan to get together afterwards at one of the fine establishments around Kamms Corners, just a mile up the road.

I’ll have waivers with me that all volunteers will need to sign when they are there.

The population of Laura’s Home changes every day so it’s hard to come up with a firm number but I would guess that we’ll be serving 50 to 60 women and 30 to 40 kids. The Single Volunteers organization will be providing hamburgers, hot dogs, potato chips, coleslaw, condiments and soft drinks. We will also be providing plates, plasticware, cups and napkins. Latest word is that the gas grill doesn’t work so I’ll have to bring a couple of charcoal grills.

If volunteers could bring a small dessert to share, that would be a big help.

In addition to the barbecue, we’re going to be providing several activities for the kids: a clown cornhole game, coloring books and crayons, bubbles, and a paper airplane contest. Rumor has it that we will also have balloon animals and a visit from Batman.

Just so everyone has an idea what to do when they get there, here’s the assignments I came up with for now: ( Yes, they are pretty much arbitrary . Feel free to trade if you’d like)

BBQ

Grill:                       JJ, Frank, Constance

Desserts:               Mesha, Beth

Condiments:          Rosemary, Patti

Drinks:                   Tammy, Pam K

Clean Up                Linda W

Servers:                Trisha, Nicole +1

Activities

Cornhole:              John, Rachel

Coloring books      Helen, Leslie

Paper airplanes:     Nana

Bubbles:                Darlene, Tenika

If your plans or schedule changes or if you’re running late or get lost, call me on my cell phone at (216) 702-5772.

Once again, on behalf of the women and children of Laura’s Home, thank you for your help.

Pat Percival