A walk at Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary (Let's try again)
Driving directions to Riverlands Migatory Bird Sanctuary Visitor Center -- 301 Riverlands Way, West Alton, MO – From I-40/64 and I-270 -- 29.0 mi – about 31 mins (up to 40 mins in traffic)
1. Head north on I-270 N -- 19.5 mi
2. Take exit 31B to merge onto Lewis and Clark Blvd/MO-367 N toward Alton Il -- Continue to follow Lewis and Clark Blvd -- 4.6 mi
3. Continue onto Deer Dr/US-67 N -- Continue to follow US-67 N -- 4.2 mi
4. Slight right at Wise Rd -- 0.4 mi
5. Continue onto Riverlands Way -- 0.3 mi
If you cross the Clark bridge, you went too far.
PLEASE BE ON TIME. IT IS UNFAIR TO KEEP THE OTHERS WAITING IN THE COLD.
Meetup Donation: Meetup charges me $72 every six months to have the Walking site. If you would like to donate $1 at some of the walks, it will be appreciated.
This will be a moderate to easy 3.5 to 4 mile walk. Unfortunately there are no hills. It takes approximately 1.5 hours.
What to bring:
- WATER – THIS IS IMPORTANT ALL YEAR LONG AND ESPECIALLY IN THE WARMER MONTHS. WE WILL USUALLY BE OUT FOR AT LEAST 1 ½ HOURS AND THAT IS TOO LONG TO GO WITHOUT REPLENISHING THE LIQUIDS THAT YOU WILL BE BURNING WHILE WALKING. – I AVOID DRINKING CAFFEINATED BEVERAGES BEFORE WALKING. THE ARE A LOT OF GOOD ARTICLES ABOUT “effects of caffeine and exercise” ON THE INTERNET OR ASK YOU DOCTOR.
- Dress in layers (not sure what the weather will do). The top couple of layers should be easily unbuttoned or unzipped to allow easy ventilation. Wear a hat.
- I recommend broken in hiking shoes over Tennis shoes. A lot of the trails are over loose gravel and dirt and the treads on the hiking boots work much better.
- Snacks – EAT LIGHTLY BEFORE THE WALK AND BRING A POWER BAR OR SNACK TO MUNCH ON DURING THE WALK.
I will try and make a decision to cancel because of weather by 7:30 am
After the hike we will meet at a Fast Eddies in Alton, for convesation and a well earned treat.