GREAT RIVERS GREENWAY - Riverwoods Trail (Click on the map to print)
Length:1.6 miles one-way Surface:Asphalt
Although a relatively short route, the Riverwoods Trail offers plentiful scenic views of the Missouri River and historic St. Charles. The trail closely follows the river's shoreline through wetland forest. Begin your journey at the northern trailhead off St. Charles Rock Road in Bridgeton, where you'll find restrooms, picnic tables and parking. It is hoped that one day the trail will connect to the famed Katy Trail on the other side of the river.
There are a number of ways to get to the trail head. 270 to St Charles Rock Road and head west. 70 to north on highway 141 to west on St Charles Rock Road. 370 to south on highway 141 to west on St Charles Rock Road. The parking lot is on the right. If you end up in the Missouri river, you went too far.
http://www.grgstl.org/trails/riverwoods-trail.aspx St Charles Rock Road http://www.traillink.com/trail/riverwoods-trail---missouri-river-greenway.aspx
What to bring:
- WATER – THIS IS IMPORTANT ALL YEAR LONG AND ESPECIALLY IN THE WARMER MONTHS. WE WILL USUALLY BE OUT FOR AT LEAST 1 ½ HOURS AND THAT IS TOO LONG TO GO WITHOUT REPLENISHING THE LIQUIDS THAT YOU WILL BE BURNING WHILE WALKING.
– I AVOID DRINKING CAFFEINATED BEVERAGES BEFORE WALKING. . THE ARE A LOT OF GOOD ARTICLES ABOUT “effects of caffeine and exercise” ON THE INTERNET OR ASK YOU DOCTOR.
- During hot weather wear clothing that is light weight, light colored and loose fitting and drink plenty of water. Wear a hat.
- I recommend broken in hiking shoes over Tennis shoes. A lot of the trails are over loose gravel and dirt and the treads on the hiking boots work much better.
- Snacks – EAT LIGHTLY BEFORE THE WALK AND BRING A POWER BAR OR SNACK TO MUNCH ON DURING THE WALK.
After the walk we will gather in the Lakehouse for some talk, food and drink.
Meetup Donation: Meetup charges me $72 every six months to have the Walking site. If you would like to donate $1 at some of the walks, it will be appreciated.