Corey D.
user 14343668
Group Organizer
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 2
Im looking for some input on what people would like for some paddle events. Are people willing to paddle in the winter and if so where do you like to paddle. what times and days of the week are good for people to go for a paddle. For me to build a success full and strong paddle board community here in tacoma i would love to hear what every one would like. thanks for you in put look forward to seeing you on the water.
Corey
Mike W.
alphaomegaocean
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 5
I think it would be great to develop a paddlegroup at JBLM we could meet with - even through the winter. They have a Rec Center at American Lake and already own a few inflatable SUPs. We can't go on post without sponsorship and a little humbug with passes etc. but we can easily launch on American Lake from the Park in Tillicum. There is also the Bob's (??) Boathouse there and I know people that skull out of there. I would like to have a race every month. Winter is very paddleable with chestwaders with booty feet. I got mine on sale at Sportco in Fife for $75. Wool socks and exterior water shoes makes for really warm and dry feet. The folks over at Durham's Board Shop may have some ideas too about winter events on the lakes around there - they are big into the wakeboard thing. I would love to hook up with some wake surfing this winter.

It's hard to schedule a SUP surf trip due to the extremely variable conditions in the winter, but we could give it a try. If we hit it good at Crescent Beach, it could be a real easy surf experience for those interested in getting their sea legs.

Mike

Mike
Corey D.
user 14343668
Group Organizer
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 3
those are some great ideas mike!!!!! we can see if we cant make some off those things happen. does any of our other fellow paddlers have any ideas of where they would like to paddle or what are good times for people or even what day of the week people would be most likely to show up. Im trying to work with as many people as posable to get bigger turn outs. please let me know.
Thanks
Corey
Dean B.
user 19528721
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 1
Put my vote in for Chambers Bay Golf Course or Sunnyside as a launching spot. Although it costs money to park at Sunnyside and Chambers is free. Either way, the water there looks great. We could arrange a couple of weekends a month to meet; say, 11am every other Saturday. If the weather is good we could bring some portable stoves or pits and cook some food on shore when we are all done and bring some hot bottles of coffee, soups, etc.

I support going to a lake as well...but sure enjoy the scenery the sound has to offer as a first choice as able.

-Dean
Jill R.
jillrobinson
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 3
I like the idea of every other Saturday as well, would love to head out around McNeil ... explore! I like the idea of races, but for me I need to really work on endurance and then on speed. I like downwinders (too bad hoodriver is far away)! Being able to have a meetup that has a standard time and day is helpful and seems to create a great reason to get away with new friends!

cheers to the great spread of ideas and input !!

jill
Corey D.
user 14343668
Group Organizer
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 4
thanks dean and jill for the reply I like the idea of every other sat as well and I do think that side of the sound would be a great place to explore for sure. I as well Enjoy doing down winders as well and I am going to try to figure out some good places here in the south sound to be able to do some. me and some friends have talked about doing a paddle from owen beach down around the point and to ether titlow or to sunny side to do some exploring.

Do i have anyone else out there that would like to give some in put. I love all these great ideas. and soon we will be acting on these ideas

thanks corey
Kevin C.
user 19573721
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 1
Using "chest waders" for paddle boarding might keep you dry but can be dangerous if you fall in the water. If they fill with water they are very heavy and hard to swim with, not to mention getting back on your board. Try using a thin or short wetsuit instead. I use a shorty during the winter and stay warm. Now lets talk about paddle boarding. I'd like to paddle to Gig Harbor from Owens beach if the wind is calm. I also know Corey is thinking of doing a Thanksgiving morning paddle, that would be a fun annual event.

Hope to see you on the water, Kevin
Corey D.
user 14343668
Group Organizer
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 5
That is a pretty good safety tip kevin about the waiters. I like to use the under armor metal gear for in the winter it keeps you warm while at the same time if you fall in it pulls the water away from your skin and drys relatively quick and its only like 60$ for a top and 60$ for bottoms. but if you need more than that i would recommend a farmer john wet suit with surf booties.

I am thinking about doing a early morning paddle on thanksgiving if people are interested I was thinking about lake tapps but if people would rather go somewhere else please let me know i am open nothing is set yet. and what what would be a good time for everyone. i was thinking of a 8am or 9am start time.

please let me know if any one is interested

corey
Jill R.
jillrobinson
Tacoma, WA
gig to owen's sound fun...ruston to vashon (and back) .....i am in for turkey day!
Tim C.
Clam1432
Puyallup, WA
If it's closed water I dress for comfort, not fall-in potential so much. I think the waders could be a really good idea. Though of course if you did fall in you would have to be able to slip out of them fast!

On Lake Tapps last week I wore Under-armor pants, (like running pants but not tight like spandex), and since these feel a little like wearing underwear in public, I threw on some surf trunks over top of them. Rolled up pants and surf booties have always been a winner. I have a long-sleeve polyester shirt from REI that is thin and soft and great for keeping the chill off until you get warmed up. And Vibrim five-fingers on my feet, which seem to give about the right amount of insulation as long as my feet are staying dry. And of course a ball-cap, dark to warm, not cool, the old bean.

And yes, I looked absolutely ridiculous.

Open water is a different story though. I have a 2 mm short sleeve full-suit made by Boz. They use a non-petruleum type neoprene that is extremely soft, pliable, and warm; a 1 mm hooded short-sleeve wetsuit shirt by Ripcurl that I will wear underneath for surfing. That way I can pull the hood up if I need it.
For hands, I like O'Neill's 1.5 mm surf gloves. They are very warm and comfortable without being bulky at all.
5 mil surf booties on feet. I like the Excel covered split-toe booties. Split toe gives you better foot-feel, and the covered type keeps your leash from fowling in your toes. This set-up keeps me pretty warm even with the short-sleeves.
I can move up to a 4mm full suit but it gets very warm in there.

In the future I will be keeping an eye out for light-weight, ventable (is that a word?) dry-suit options.

Paddle On!