Women's Coding Collective - Boston Message Board › Upcoming Concert: NEC Students Musically Explore Open Source

Upcoming Concert: NEC Students Musically Explore Open Source

Eva H.
user 35055122
Boston, MA
Post #: 1
Hi fellow web start women!

I wanted to take a moment to let you know about a creative project I have been working on with students at the New England Conservatory. This Thursday, we are presenting Open Source--a concert of new music that explores the concept of open source and the ways in which technology can enrich artistic expression. This concert is the culmination of a semester-long project, facilitated by the Entrepreneurial Musicianship Department (where I work) and contemporary cellist Peter Gregson, who has worked with some of the world’s leading technologists, including Microsoft Labs, UnitedVisualArtists and the MIT Media Lab to create immersive musical environments

The program is wonderfully eclectic, ranging from a premier of Significant Transits for Tuba and electronics (yes, tuba and electronics!) to Solo Duet in Three Movements, a piece written by Gregson that utilizes goPlay, a new responsive performance interface that creates digital chamber music based on the music played by the performer.

The event is taking place at Space with a Soul, a beautiful shared workspace in the heart of fort point channel. The event space is an airy loft that packs breathtaking views of the Boston skyline.

I have included the full details below, and if you feel so moved, I'd love for you to pass along information to anyone who you think might be interested in attending.

Thanks and hope to see you on the 17th!
Eva

Eva Heinstein
Program Manager, Entrepreneurial Musicianship

New England Conservatory
290 Huntington Avenue, Boston MA 02115

Blog: necentrepreneur.posterous.com
Facebook: NEC Entrepreneurial Musicianship
Twitter: twitter.com/necentrepreneur

OPEN SOURCE

Thursday, May 17 // 7PM
Space with a Soul // 281 Summer Street, Boston
Tickets: $10 General Admission // $5 with student ID //opensourcenec.eventbrite.com

‘Open source’ extends beyond computer code and free software--it’s an outlook that drives the way we share and create new information. The platforms and tools that shape and deliver our music are increasingly open and crowd sourced: YouTube, Soundcloud, Pure Data, Audacity, among many others. The philosophy and methodology of ‘Open source' also relies on the collective wisdom of engaged users to fuel innovative products and ideas.

A creative team of NEC students, led by contemporary cellist Peter Gregson, have spent a semester musically exploring the concept of open source. The result is a eclectic program of newly-composed and adapted works, including: (OPEN)Source by Peter Dodds, which uses crowd-sourcing data in composition; Silence by Charlie Haden for solo bass and loop station; Unseen by Tara Mueller for Violin, Voice, and electronics; Significant Transits by Vanessa Wheeler for solo tuba and electronics; Solo Duet in Three Movements by Peter Gregson, which uses goPlay, a new responsive performance interface; and H No. 1-7 Redux by Neal Markowski, performed by The Gradient Us Ensemble, with art film by SMFA student Angela Counts.

For more information, visit necmusic.edu/open-source.