addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

EDIBLE WEED WALKS and PLANT CLASSES Message Board › Verbascum or mullein

Verbascum or mullein

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi all. I have what I believe is a gorgeous wild verbascum or mullein growing on my property. It's been there for two years now--I guess this is a biennial? Anyone familiar with this plant? A Google search says it makes good "TP" for camping.......lol.
A former member
Post #: 15
Looks like this species is not Local to America, so it was probably planted by your homes or lands pervious owner. But that's interesting, I've never thought about a plant making some outdoor TP cause quite honest I usually use whatever is green, close and isn't 3 leafed lol

When I was in the Army we did month long field exercises and used baby wipes to take baths and clean ourselves, and usually when I hike I time it so I don't have to use the RR, but I suppose I should find a good alternative since I am also going to be doing some over nighter hiking/camping trips this summer. I guess I better look for a local TP plant of my own hehe
A former member
Post #: 2
Well, it's freaky.....the verbascum is growing right beside a wooden fence post and seems to be quite happy. I need to do some research on how to use this plant. I believe you can make a tea from the leaves for a cough. Also good to know in case I'm out in the yard and should "nature call" I'm covered--so to say........the leaves are quite soft and fuzzy...hahahaa
A former member
Post #: 16
Going point. Around my place I have tons of wild ginger and virgina creeper growing on the ground. The ginger is good for cooking but the creeper really serves little purpose. Id does have soft leaves and grows everywhere so It could make a good "nature call" substitute lol.
The other day hike the other day and found some Lobelia inflata which apparently doctors used for lots of medical treatments. I'm currently building an inventory of medical and edible plants in my area, as well as the edible mushrooms. So far I've found 7 mushroom species, but could only positivly identidy WildTurkey fungus of the bunch. It's always good to have those incase at SHTF scenario does happen. Infact I'd suggest to anyone to find these and even buy the seeds for them online, and have your own medical garden handy. Another plant with many medical propertys is GoldenSeal. Although it does grow local, I've yet to find any. I'm sure it's only a matter of time as the seasons only started.
A former member
Post #: 3
Oh right on.......speaking of mushrooms......have you ever heard of or saw a dog stinkhorn mushroom? A couple of weeks ago was my first experience.........it wasn't there the day before. And suddenly this horrid looking red tentacle-like thing emerged from the herb garden.......I thought the devil himself was popping out of the ground to get me ... lol. Very, very strange indeed.
martin h.
brothermartin
Nashville, TN
Post #: 36
Oh right on.......speaking of mushrooms......have you ever heard of or saw a dog stinkhorn mushroom? A couple of weeks ago was my first experience.........it wasn't there the day before. And suddenly this horrid looking red tentacle-like thing emerged from the herb garden.......I thought the devil himself was popping out of the ground to get me ... lol. Very, very strange indeed.

We have what I have always called "stinkhorn mushrooms" growing here in heavily shaded, composting piles of manure and sawdust, doing some heavy lifting for us by turning the raw ingredients, which are of little use in a garden, into a highly nutritious (for plants) finished compost. But they aren't red, even when they first come up--white and grey and slimy looking.

Here's a link to an article with pictures. BTW, the article says they have many different forms, and none of the ones pictured look like what I'm seeing here--but they are definitely slimy.
A former member
Post #: 17
Ya know Martin, you sure would be a handy person to have around today. I found some new mushroom species. I think that makes 9 muchroom species and 2 other types of fungus.
I took a walk out back to see how my creeek was looking after the rain. I ended up walking over a giant copper head. Took some pictures for the inventory and then cut a few small trees down.

I got two old ladies living on each side of my property who are sisters, and don't seem to know a whole lot about mushrooms other than the "land fish" ones which from what I understand went out of season last week.

I only wish I had some neighbors like you lol then I'd be out all day finding new species for you to identify.
Gail
user 3005016
Mount Juliet, TN
Post #: 6
Holy @!#? - a copperhead?? Was it alive?? What did it do when you walked over it?
A former member
Post #: 20
Yes indeed, I walked over it after I realized what I had done. It was in the process of moving along the trail. I took some pictures but their on my cameras internal memory which requires a cord I am having trouble finding. If I had been on my A game, I would have put my memory card in and had a picture available, but I left it in my computer when I went out. I'll show put a link of what it looks like incase others don't know what a copper heads is.

It's one a 4 deadly species of Tennessee, which is just a small amount of snakes that exist here. Something about 30 other snake species live here that a pretty much harmless. I try to catagorize snaked with mushrooms. Unless your absoutly postive, use extream caution, and when you are positive, it's never bad to still use precaution. :P
A former member
Post #: 4
Klunk................that's the sound of me hitting the floor........I just passed out......lol!!!