EDIBLE WEED WALKS and PLANT CLASSES Message Board › Verbascum or mullein

Verbascum or mullein

A former member
Post #: 5

this is what i found growing out of the herb garden........i swear it looks like a tentacle.........hahahaa.....can anyone verify it's a dog stinkhorn mushroom? The "dog" reference is a bit disturbing.....lol
A former member
Post #: 21
Dig it up and you might find a chihuahua laying belly up under those pine needles lol

Yeah that does look pretty neat. Take another photo once it blooms, and if you find a dog under there, PLEASE don't disturb it lol
Cindy M.
user 9556327
Group Organizer
Nashville, TN
Post #: 8
@ Helen:
I assume you know verbascum is mullein. I have an old book on weeds "Just Weeds .. everything the home-owner needs to know to identify and eradicate weeds" by Edwin Rollin Spencer. Copyright 1940. Has lovely line drawing of many of the plants us weedeaters eat. He has a listing for Mullein. He lists two kinds: Common Mullein, which makes a great stalky wand of flowers and seeds, and the less dramatic moth mullein. The former is Verbascum thapsus L. The later is Verbascumblattaria L. Common mullein has several common names: Flannel Leaf, Jacob's staff, velvet leaf, velvet dock, torches, hedge taper, candlewicks "(a name referring to the fact that the abundance of hair on the leaves was scraped off and used by peasants to make the candlewicks)" There are MORE names: Big taper,Blanket leaf, cow.'s or clowns lungwort, Feltwort, shepaherd's club, Peter's staff and even more... (which points for the reason for scientific names because completely different plants in different local may bare the same name.

It has been medicinally through written history, produces a mild narcotic, smoking the dried leaf gives relief from asthma.

Is a biannual
A former member
Post #: 6
Wow.......thanks for the info. I adore old books--especially botanical or plant/gardening ones. I'm so tempted to dig this verbascum up and replant it in the herb garden, but it seems to be happy where it is. I know this plant was there last year and being a biennial this will be the end of it. I wonder if seed collection is possible?

Again, thanks for the 411 and happy Sunday to you!
Cindy M.
user 9556327
Group Organizer
Nashville, TN
Post #: 9
Just put a bag over the wand when it is dry and shake seeds into your bag in September, I think.