Wellington Mobile Dev Group Message Board › Introduction

Introduction

Dave M.
user 96301152
Wellington, NZ
Post #: 1
Hello. I'm new here. I thought I'd introduce myself.

I am a software engineer, working on legacy products in dead languages, looking for a change.

I am not evangelical about any particular technology. I use what is available to me and what is adaptable.
I identify with the 'free-as-in-beer' camp over the 'free-as-in-speech' crowd. I've had a bit to do with embedded Linux through openEZX (I did the logo but not much else) and openembedded (as a user rather than contributor). Android has definitely made my life easier. Now I don't have to roll an operating system before I can do something useful.

I like what Google have done with Android. I'd like to contribute to the Android app scene before; Google screw it up, Apple smite Android with lawyers or Samsung smite Android with Tizen (and lawyers).

My embedded OS history is; nothing, 8 bit C library, EtherNut, Embedded Linux (roll-your-own), Embedded Linux (Angstrom/openembedded), Android.

I've owned two iPods, never had a Mac or iBook or iPhone.

I currently use an HTC Desire (main phone(yes, it's old)), a Samgung Galaxy S (dev phone(yes, that's old too)), a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and various miscellaneous laptops (mainly one Windows 7 and one Linux Mint KDE (yes, I know, KDE right, I haven't really bonded with it)). There's an Ubuntu server in the mix there too for SVN, Jenkins etc.

In my day job I mainly use C, C++, and, wait for it, Pascal. I do a little Android development at work but it's
not a major player in the domain yet.

Anyway, hello everyone. Is there anything I can do to help out?

Cheers, Dave.