align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo
Diana K.
user 11200393
London, GB
Post #: 51
Does anyone know about Parkinson's Disease. I've looked on the WAPF website but it doesn't come up with much. My mother is in the early stages and doesn't want to go down the medical route which is fair enough given that her mother had some bad side effects from medication. She is however currently "treating" her condition with coffee and dark chocolate based on some clinical trials that she read about. This concerns me and I was wondering if there is a more nutritional approach to treating Parkinson's.
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 1,276
From my recollection, there are auto-immune and toxicity issues relating to heavy metals. Most of our elderly are very trusting and take their flu jab every year. It is laden with mercury, aluminum and more.

Then, there is the myelin sheath. It is has lots of cholesterol, so the elderly on fat reduced diets with statins are very vulnerable.

And then, they are told to not have any salt, yet it is required for glial cell production.

And of course, the brain is about 80% fat, so there the low fat diets do more damage. I spoke to one old lady told not to have more than two eggs per week to keep her cholesterol down.
Erica M
user 38866682
Leamington Spa, GB
Post #: 1
Hi my mother has Parkinson's and I feel strongly that her chosen low fat diet ( eg using low fat spreads from the early 1970s )has something to do with it. Also she was advised to substitute fructose for sugar in recipes when cooking for her diabetic husband.
She is on conventional Parkinson's medications but now eats as much cream and butter as possible as she has a tiny appetite, and they are nutrient dense foods.
I don't know of anyone promoting a nutritional approach but have you looked at the work of Bruce Fife / coconut oil ?
I'm sorry I can't be more helpful -- I just felt the need to share my views as this is so rarely addressed.eloniste
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 1,320
I highly recommend coconut oil. It works for Alzeimers by providing ketones straight to the brain cells. It does the same job as glucose but by-passes insulin.

Here is a short search from the WAPF website. Hope you find it useful:

Researchers are now looking into the exciting possibility of using coconut oil as a treatment not only for Alzheimer’s disease but also for Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease, multiple sclerosis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease), drug resistant epilepsy, brittle type I diabetes, and diabetes type II, where there is insulin resistance. Ketone bodies may help the brain recover after a loss of oxygen in newborns through adults. Children with drug resistant epilepsy sometimes respond to an extremely low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet.14 http://www.westonapri...­

"Manganese deficient animals have shown ataxia as well as lower seizure thresholds. Elevated amounts of manganese have shown toxicity in the nervous system. Excess manganese can accumulate by inhalation in the basal ganglia. This occurs in exposed miners who develop dementia and Parkinsonism. Violent behavior is a characteristic of manganese poisoning." http://www.westonapri...­

BBC News has announced that glutamate-blocking drugs being developed for treatment of strokes may also be helpful in the treatment of multiple sclerosis,13 and such prestigious organizations as the University of Maryland Medical School have stated, "A number of experimental drugs are being investigated for Parkinson's disease because they block the actions of glutamate, an amino acid that is a particularly potent nerve cell killer. Some of these drugs block a receptor group to glutamate called N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA). NMDA antagonists are showing some promise for reducing symptoms of Parkinson's disease, particularly tremor."14 http://www.westonapri...­

------

Same Symptoms

Five months ago, my niece and I discovered our respective husbands (one 60 years of age, the other 57 years of age) were exhibiting very similar neurological symptoms. Both had developed a hand tremor at rest, a strange posture and walk (realize now they were not swinging their right arms), exhibited flat affects and loss of their senses of humor, experienced severe fatigue as well as restless legs at night. In addition, my husband experienced a tingling sensation over different parts of the body, especially upon awakening. Both men had one major commonality: they had been taking Lipitor for over four years.

After a little investigation, we learned statins profoundly deplete the body of coenzyme Q10. In a simplistic and wishful thinking approach, my husband stopped the Lipitor and began taking CoQ10 at a dose of 100mg/day. (At the time we were unaware one must take vitamin E for proper absorption and metabolism of CoQ10.) Four months later, my niece's husband consulted a neurologist who diagnosed Parkinson's disease and started him on L-Dopa and Carbidopa. My husband consulted a neurologist four and one-half months later and received the diagnosis of Parkinson's disease. His neurologist recommended only one drug at this time, stating that it was neuroprotective and was shown to be effective in decreasing progression of Parkinson's in early onset phase. This drug was coenzymeQ10, this time in a megadose of 1200 mg/day. We no longer feel it simplistic to associate the Parkinson's symptoms with Lipitor and its profound depleting effects upon coenzyme Q10. My husband's neurologist based his recommendation upon the study by Shults and others reported in the Archives of Neurology, February 2002, showing beneficial effects for Parkinson's patients using 1200 mg of CoQ10 per day, but had not heard of any association with any of the statins and was patently disinterested. We consulted a second neurologist, one who is renowned in the field of "movement disorders" and though he possessed a somewhat avuncular demeanor during most of the consultation, he became quite annoyed when asked if he had any knowledge about the depletion of CoQ10 via statin use and Parkinson's disease.

Additionally, my niece's husband was recently (within the last year) diagnosed with diabetes. We did note in some of the literature by Dr. B. Golomb that an increase in blood sugar up to 100 above baseline has been reported in patients taking statins.

We now feel that there must be a subset of patients who have or will develop Parkinson's or Parkinsonism due to statin use. I found of great interest a web site for the Muscular Dystrophy Association, in the "ask the expert" feature for ALS that of the 16 questions and answers that have been printed since February 2004, three of them specifically ask whether one of the statins caused the disease, and one other question notes the patient has severe heart disease--I wonder whether he also is taking a statin. Nonetheless, three out of 16 questions printed seems an incredible number dealing with statins and symptoms of ALS. The answers assured the questioners that there was no relationship between statins and ALS. Since the new theory is that ALS, Parkinson's and Alzheimer's are possibly due to "oxidative stress," how much more oxidative stress could one devise than completely stopping the production of CoQ10 within the body?

We are searching for someone knowledgeable in neurology and/or biochemistry who would think of these "oxidative stress" diseases in terms of targeting the damage wrought by statins. We sincerely feel there are many more people out there with diagnoses of Alzheimer's, ALS and Parkinson's who would benefit from therapy aimed at treating the underlying damage caused by statins--and just stopping the statins would be a start. Our physician friends are sweetly condescending and then dismissive; I can only imagine the ridicule a lay person would receive questioning a relationship between statin toxicity and neurodegenerative disease.

Madelyn M. Levy
Cincinnati, Ohio

http://www.westonapri...­

Stefan C.
user 11345230
London, GB
Post #: 63
Phospholipid Exchange Therapy is a very promising therapy for degenerative neurologica conditions:

http://www.newmedicin...­
Gill J.
GillJacobs
London, GB
Post #: 21
Yes, I do. A friend of mine is a McTimoney practitioner in Scotland and she has had remarkable results
with a patient of hers using a new supplement based on nine day old fertilized egg white, from Norway, and now out of the US. She is the first in this country to use it. Her patient is no longer using his motorised wheelchair, and now walks with one stick only, with less shaking. In only three weeks. She is also taking it and no longer needs reading glasses. I hope to have some of this product, Laminine, at the conference. Do ring my friend if you want to know more, email me direct for her details. gilljacobs at gmail dot com.
Olivia
user 36290102
London, GB
Post #: 21
Don't know much about parkinsons but if it is an autoimmune disease I think GAPS diet would help. It's nourishing with the needed fats and helps detox too. I know Dr Natasha says the diet helps those with autoimmune disorders as the disease begins in the gut.
Diana E.
user 14353890
London, GB
Post #: 38
Does anyone know about Parkinson's Disease. I've looked on the WAPF website but it doesn't come up with much. My mother is in the early stages and doesn't want to go down the medical route which is fair enough given that her mother had some bad side effects from medication. She is however currently "treating" her condition with coffee and dark chocolate based on some clinical trials that she read about. This concerns me and I was wondering if there is a more nutritional approach to treating Parkinson's.
Hello Diana,

You have my sympathy. My mother had Parkinson's disease too. It is a wicked illness. Had I known then what I now now, I would have tried to treat her with diet. The trouble is, elderly people are quite set in their ways sometimes and it is difficult to change things much.

I would advise:
1) The WAP diet!
2) Ensure that she gets vitamin B12 - liver is often acceptable as it was much more popular in her younger days and she may enjoy it.
3) Vitamin D is I believe, vital and of course it should come from the sun. Another phobia that some elderly people have. I couldn't get my mum out of the house - it was as if she was on a bungee rope!
4) Elderly people are often put on statin drugs for cholesterol control. Please research it before you allow this to happen. If the condition of Parkinson's isn't bad enough, statins can make memory-loss and leg weakness much worse. Something to be avoided for many sufferers.

I hope this is helpful Diana and good luck.
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 1,324
Also avoid the flu jab like the plague. It has heavy metals which definitely contribute.
Stefan C.
user 11345230
London, GB
Post #: 64
Traditional Chinese Medicine Improves Activities of Daily Living in Parkinson's Disease

http://www.hindawi.co...­