Weston A. Price Foundation - London Chapter Message Board › Oats. Phytic acid

Oats. Phytic acid

Jon
user 13588602
London, GB
Post #: 32
I am wanting to maximise nutrition from oats. I've struck on making oatmeal milk instead of boilng them which can destroy some nutrients by even half, or just throwing soaked oats into smoothies.

I want to know if after soaking oats for 12 hours if the phytic acid still sits in the water and you have to dicard the water. Discarding the water is not practicle as the oats have turned to a mild mush and you end up discarding a milky liquid together with its nutrients ... at least with the rolled oats I am using.

Thoughts? Thanks for yor attention

Jon
Nick
user 94237032
London, GB
Post #: 3
In the WAP recipe book it suggests soaking over night with salt, warm water and vinegar (alt lemon/yoghurt), then cooking on the hob, initially boiling briefly then on a low to medium heat.

"In a glass container, mix 2 cups oats with 2 cups warm water and 2 table- spoons vinegar, lemon juice or yogurt. Cover and leave in a warm place overnight. In the morning bring an additional 2 cups of water to boil. Add the salt and the soaked oatmeal. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally."

By soaking the grains in an acidic medium (lemon juice, buttermilk, liquid whey, yogurt, or apple cider vinegar) you break down the anti nutrients in the oats and the minerals are released making the oats digestible.

With regards to heat damaging the nutrient content: Suspect it's a catch 22, you might loose nutrition by cooking but without cooking, it is more difficult to digest so you won't be getting the full benefit anyway. Perhaps cook on a lower heat.

This is what I do (with warm filtered water), but I use coconut milk (or coconut solids and more water), coconut cooking fat, and occasionally dried fruit. I cook it quite gently. I love it with coconut. I feel totally full up after and dn't feel hungry again till mid day, so I believe I am getting the nutrition from it.

Tim
user 28774772
London, GB
Post #: 46
From memory if you save a 3rd of the soaking water to use for the next batch of oats it works even better at removing the phytic acid.
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 1,697
Or you can add whey, or some raw vinegar to bring up the beneficial flora in the mix.
Nick
user 94237032
London, GB
Post #: 7
What are your thoughts on the cooking loosing the nutritional value?
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 1,698
Many plant foods need cooking to be digestible and to unlock the nutrients. The raw foods we focus on are fermented vegetables and fruits, and raw and fermented animal products.
Jon
user 13588602
London, GB
Post #: 33
Answering my own ? Nourishing traditions latest info on the subject reflects the following. Can't find direct link (anyone?)...but its intresting stuff.

Oats contains very little anti-phytate. So soaking the oats even for 24 hour does very little to reduce the phytate content. What is needed is an agent that adds anti-phytate to the oats and does the job of reducing the phyhtate content. WAPF suggest wholegrain rye, or some other grain high in ant-phytate like wheat; about 10%

I am still trying to find a balance. I have tried rye flour ...but I find it disturbs the taste oats too much. Any suggestions? I have not tried whole rain rye yet as its not locally available to me. However there may be some more practicle alternatives. What other grains or the like (almonds?) work well with oats - high in anti-phytate - commonly available, and taste good with soaked and cooked or cold oats.

On the oats subject, sometime it crops up that very long lived people have a diet containing oats. Also in the human strenth department. Also in the loss of weight department, Theirs something to the oats stuff.

Perhaps our body just deals with the negative phytate content anyway.
Nick
user 94237032
London, GB
Post #: 9
I soak mine over night with salt and vinegar and that's fine for me.

I used to get indigestion after eating oats and the sense that they would take a long time to digest.

Eating them after soaking and mixed with coconut milk has stopped that, obviously I cant tell the exact chemical breakdown of the oats but I can listen to my body and I think I am more able to digest and assimilate the nutrients after soaking.