addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Weston A. Price Foundation - London Chapter Message Board › What are the top ten and bottom ten foods for nutrition?

What are the top ten and bottom ten foods for nutrition?

Lorna
user 11805001
London, GB
Post #: 266
I just need in a nut shell, whats best and worst for nutrition. Especially for children...

Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Richard
user 15083721
London, GB
Post #: 51
Hi Lorna

Im always hesitant answering questions like this. I wouldn't like to say what the top 10 best foods are as it depends on individual genetics, age, health status etc; and of course your definition of nutrition. However I think Sally Fallons book Nourishing Traditions is a great resource for general advice on this.

Naming some of the worst foods is a little easier. In my opinion the foods (if you can call them that) worth avoiding where possible are any using heavily processed, man made ingredients. There are too many to list but absolute top for me would be doughnuts - a highly palatable mix of gluten, fried rancid vegetable fats and high fructose corn syrup. Surely a recipe for disaster by anyone's standard!

A former member
Post #: 364
What type of nutrition? Protein, vitamins, minerals, fats, antioxidants and phytonutrients?

To get all in my opinion: (I focus on these with my 2 & 6 year olds)

Organic Eggs
Organic chicken - all (meat, bones for broth, liver) or turkey
Fish -oily is best (I make fish fingers) they tend to like cod better than mackerel though)
Berries (all kinds)
Mango or papaya
Organic yogurt
Butter/Coconut oil/olives and olive oil
Sweet potatoes
Spinach or kale
Gluten free grains

I have more but I think that's 10 :-)

Curious what others think or would add/exchange

A former member
Post #: 365
Oh, and my favorite grains are quinoa and then brown rice and whole spelt for baking (low gluten)

I also like to include beans (hummus, for example) and also nuts (peanut butter, cashew and almond butter, etc) all raw, not roasted.

Tanya
user 98136522
London, GB
Post #: 2
Hi Debarah

I focus on Eggs, Animal Fat, Meat, Raw Dairy, Butter, Fish, Veggies. I am careful with brown rice as it is difficult to digest (there is new research on american WAPF site supporting this). And I also use stoneground white flour for bread rather than wholemeal.
For kids I avoid all juices incl. Innocent, sugar, cereals, 'healthy' biscuits, crisps, pasta.

I hope it helps.
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 1,692
Hi Tanya. White flour can be problematic, even when stone ground, because it lacks minerals like magnesium which the body needs to metabolise glucose. Absent this in the diet, the body depletes its own stores of magnesium and friends.
Lorna
user 11805001
London, GB
Post #: 267
I think that the bottom 10 foods seem to be the main foods in most families' shopping trolleys. So how is it that often kids seem to be growing well, no allergies, good immune systems etc... I know that a lot of them aren't so 'lucky' but its hard for us stalwarts of healthy food to make a point?

eg.

biscuits/sweets/chocolate/sugar
bread /pasta/pizza
crisps/oils
tins/sauces
ham, bacon, sausages
non- organic fruit and veg
pasturised milk,
sweet yoghurts, juice/squash

I feel like some people seem to only eat everything that we don't!!!

Any tips out there, on where to start making suggestions to this type of friend/relative??
Richard
user 15083721
London, GB
Post #: 52
Well I think it depends on what standards by which we are measuring child growth and development. Are our current standards giving us the complete picture? And how would our children measure up to those of cultures that have not been subject to the above foods?

Additionally, I would dare say that a child's body is able to endure more damage through bad nutrition. You may have hit the nail on the head when you say they 'seem' to be growing well. During these early years the body is hormonally primed for growth, as a priority, and will adapt as best it can to its environment. However damage may still be done on a metabolic level by poor nutrition that may not become apparent until later years with the onset of obesity, diabetes, allergies/intolerances, cancers and other hormonal dysfunctions or diseases.

My summary - good nutrition is a long term investment for future health.
Eleanor B.
user 20445061
London, GB
Post #: 147
I'd put bacon on the good side of the seesaw. I think there is space for coconut oil, fermented veg and dairy and bone broth also avocado. I'd have mango as an occasional treat as its stuffed with fructose so probably sliding towards the other side of the seesaw.
A former member
Post #: 366
ah yes..the avocado! How could I forget. There are more than 10 healthy foods that do us good, eh? I lean towards mango because my daughter will only eat 3 fruits and that's one of them and seems to have a nice vitamin/mineral profile. I also disagree with sausages and bacon. There are worse foods in my opinion, like crisps, pastries, white bread and pasta, juice with aspartame, fried chicken from fast food places, macaroni and cheese from a box (American Kraft), typical yogurts filled with sugar or aspartame,.. lots of junk out there.